Need a processor recommendation

MikE

Color Me Gone
Since scoring my HD widescreen monitor I'm looking to upgrade my HT and could use some guidance. I have an old Onkyo receiver that I'd like to use as amp but by-pass the HT processor [it sucks]. Since I'm unfamiliar with HT gear what products I should consider for this upgrade? I do not want anything with effects just something simple. Not looking to spend a lot. Thanks.

MikE

Technics has a very descent relativly low priced processor the SH-AC500D that is supposed to be a real winner, I have one but I need the remote before I can put it into use and say how good it may be. And if I recall correctly there is/was one in the for sale on this sight a while back.
Brian

That was my Technics processor that I sold a while back, and it ended up fetching about $140 on Ebay.

MikE - what was your budget for the processor? That info might assist with making the right reccommendation for your needs.

LuV that Moniker

That's about what my budget is. I'm looking for something used that has the flexiblity of component video and or HDMI/DVI. MikE

Your moniker would have been great back in the "cable war" days! :banana:

At that budget you're unlikely to find anything with component or HDMI/DVI.

Do you have multiple sources with the above outputs ?

If it's just a single satellite receiver or DVD player then plug the video straight into the TV.

For sound, best VFM is probably a cheap AVR which will is almost certainly going to outperform the elderly Technics processor.

Cheep?

MikE said:
Since scoring my HD widescreen monitor I'm looking to upgrade my HT and could use some guidance. I have an old Onkyo receiver that I'd like to use as amp but by-pass the HT processor [it sucks]. Since I'm unfamiliar with HT gear what products I should consider for this upgrade? I do not want anything with effects just something simple. Not looking to spend a lot. Thanks.

MikE

I'm going to fire that W2k wonder of mine before I go to bed (is it 4 am)? Then I'll get my software for the DVD loaded and in a couple daze I'll know if 18 dollars worked :lmao:

It was worth a shot even if it won't touch all you guys' stuff. If I get a TV-output type card I might watch it from bed :yes: :banana: :thmbsp:

Then again, I'm so tight the plastic parts have become worn and brittle :yikes:

You could look for a used HT receiver that has pre outs. That's what I did I got a Denon 2801 (I think) and it is a 6.1 (7.1 when you add the amp) has all the bells and whistles and all the DD, DTS, Prologic modes. The next couple of steps down in models have pre outs as well. There are quite a few different HT receivers with pre outs out there and usually you can get them cheaper than an HT pre amp or processor.

Back
Top Bottom