Need advice on a new turntable to start over

FreekT

Let me start by saying sorry I've been away for a while. Had to sell all of my old gear since my old lady didn't want both the home cinema Klipsch RP set and an old vintage yamaha set in the living room, nor any other room... Now the old lady is gone and I'm rebuilding my old listening room, glad to be back!
Just got my hands on a yamaha ca-1010 and cr-1010, also bought an Akai AM-2800 and ST-2600. Speakers will be Pioneer HPM-900 and HPM-100. At the moment I'm playing from a Lenco L76/S, nothing wrong with that, but nothing special either.
Looking for a turntable I found a few I would like to add to my collection, can only get one of them and they're a few hours drive in either direction....

Kenwood KD700D
Thorens TD-321 with SME 3009 IIIs arm
Denon DP51
Beogram 8000
Technics SL1310
Sony PS-X7
Sony PS-B80
Pioneer PL-510
Yamaha PX-3

All in the same pricerange of about 500 euro. Any good in there? Thank you guys!

Last edited:
Thank you for the inputs!
further research leaves me with the Yamaha, Kenwood, Thorens or Technics.
I often read the Yamaha linear tracker is qualitywise a notch above the other remainers, just can't find that much info about the Thorens and Kenwood. Where do they stand when compared to other TT's from Thorens and Kenwood?
Know the Technics as I owned one before and liked it a lot!

How are your floors? If you have suspended wood floors that bounce when you walk, the Thorens may not be a good choice unless you install a wall shelf to isolate it from the floor.

Just made a few calls,
the yamaha comes without headshell -.-
the sony ps-b80 has a defect in arm mechanism (to much pressure) and the needlecleaner keeps spinning
The kenwood element needs to be replaced
Denon dp51 comes with a new denon 303 element and is fully functioning, though the lit has turned yellow (due to UV I guess)
Thorens has found a new owner allready...

Those Sony turntables are very complex mechanisms to repair. The Thorens is nice, and less complex to repair. The Technics is nice and performs very well.

That Kenwood looks very nice. By "element", do you mean the cartridge? If so, is it still good enough to verify operation?

You are likely to want to replace the cartridge, or the stylus, on whatever you find, anyway...

Yeah, I meant cartridge. Will go and have a look at the Kenwood, Thorens and Yamaha next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom