Need advice on a super simple mic/monitor setup for basement fun

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a couple buddies that play drums and guitar, and we want to do some jamming in the basement. I'm looking for a super simple way to run 3 vocal microphones into a preamp with signals combined into one output. I need gain adjustment for each mic individually (some sing loud and some sing soft), and I would like a master gain out. I have a power amp and a speaker. I've been looking at inexpensive mic preamps, but they are all 2 in and 2 out. Is a small mixer my only option?

Onebean

Well, you'll have to get creative to use your compressors, since that console doesn't have channel insertions. (They would allow you to compress just one mic channel while leaving the others alone, or processing them differently.) Not the end of the world for a basement setup, but will make things more complex. If you're compressing the whole mix as one, then you're good to go.

(If the compressors happen to have mic preamps also, then you're good to go.)

If I was designing a board like that, I would try to make the line inputs (just below mic inputs) do double duty as channel insertions... might need another switch, of course.

Didn't know you were going to get so fancy!

Chip

Chip, I didn't know I was going to get fancy either. Another impulse buy I guess. I thought I could run the vocal mic straight into the compressor, then out of the compressor to the mixer. Will that work?

Onebean

That mixer has a labeled effects send but not an effects return. Not sure how that's supposed to work. Hopefully the manual can shed some light on patching in outboard gear.

I guess it's too late now, but that's one of the reasons why I recommended the older Mackie. It has insert points on all 4 mic input channels. These kinds of features have been vanishing on smaller mixers because of the intense competition on price.

That mixer has a labeled effects send but not an effects return. Not sure how that's supposed to work. Hopefully the manual can shed some light on patching in outboard gear.

I guess it's too late now, but that's one of the reasons why I recommended the older Mackie. It has insert points on all 4 mic input channels. These kinds of features have been vanishing on smaller mixers because of the intense competition on price.
From what I read, the effects return goes to one of the stereo channels.
You would have to make sure the effects send on the return channel is set to minimum or feedback would result.
edit: not sure why the effects send shows a TRS connector though. The output is mono. Those are used where the send and return are on the same cable, as in a stereo to pair of mono. Unless it's to provide a double mono L/R signal for a stereo processor.:dunno:

Last edited:
I am considering sending the Behringer back and getting this Soundcraft board instead. It's a little more than double the cost of the Behringer, but it has inserts on all the channels with XLR, and it has the sweepable frequency mirage EQ which is nice. Is it safe to assume the build quality is better? I don't need the inserts right now, but I hate the thought of spending close to $100 now, and then buying again in another year or two. Any opinions on the Soundcraft vs. the Behringer?

I looked at a few of the Mackie 1202 VLZ boards on eBay, and I couldn't see the insert point you mention. Do you know where are they at?

Here's an option for $200:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX8v2

It keeps your onboard reverb/processor setup, and adds channel insertions on mic in 1 and 2, and throws in a graphic equalizer for 'good measure'. (Sometimes more of a hinderance than a help, though.)

Keep in mind this is literally the first one I ran across that had the option, and not an exhaustive review of capabilities vs. your needs. But it's a good name brand.
Sweepable mid EQ frequency is a nice touch. I always look for the most flexibility out of a mixer, because every situation I use one in is different.

Also, re: valvenator's post -- It's not unusual for a reverb setup to have mono in and stereo out. Back in the day of physical reverb plates that was the setup. Modern processors have two inputs, but I don't think channel 1 inputs come out only on channel 1... that specific architecture will change from product to product, and probably program to program within a given device.

The only mixers I've purchased/used lately are Mackies, which are primarily surface mount component devices. I have two '402', a 1202 pre-VLZ, and two 16-stereo-in rackmount keyboard mixers. (Model numbers may be imprecise, but they follow the inputs/outputs numbering scheme.) Many years ago, I used MCI, Quantum, Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, etc., but those were all 'through hole' construction, and easily maintainable. I can't really speak to the quality of current Soundcraft offerings vs. Mackie, Behringer, etc. I don't put Behringer in the same league as Mackie, though. When they started out they were basically knock-offs of Mackies. I know I've never had to fix a Mackie.

Chip

Last edited:
I looked at a few of the Mackie 1202 VLZ boards on eBay, and I couldn't see the insert point you mention. Do you know where are they at?

This is a VLZ Pro, but my VLZ has them in the same spot (at right in the picture).

1202PRORear-035bcae2b45b5ad57bd67983209b7e6e.jpg

Assuming your compressors are 1/4" in/out you need cables like these to use the inserts. The TRS end (black) gets connected to the insert jack. Tip is usually send (plug that end into the compressor's input). Ring is usually return (plug that end into the compressor's output).

p1341.jpg

Pro tip: You can also use the inserts to take a direct feed from each mic preamp for recording. Use a standard 1/4" cable but only insert it to the first click. Then connect the other end to your recording interface/device. This will be a little higher fidelity than going through the whole mixer (eq section, summing, etc...). You won't have the option to use the mixer's eq, but hopefully whatever you're recording to (usually software these days) would give you that option anyway.

Back
Top Bottom