Need advice on buying a Linn LP12

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
I'm in the market for a Linn LP12. Need some advise on what model to stay away from. what upgrades are good or bad, or even what models are upgradable.

The upgrade path can be quite expensive, and IMHO, just not cost effective. The current base LP12 (Majik) is also overpriced compared to other tables.

Best place to start is a late 80's/early 90's deck with Valhalla PS and either Cirkus, or pre Cirkus sub-chassis + bearing + sub-platter. Tonearms are a bit of a mixed bag. Stay away from anything below Akito II. Arms other than Linn are an option, and work fine contrary to the Linn mantra.

The first upgrade would be to ditch the Valhalla in favor of a Hercules II, mounted in an external box. The next to go would be the stock steel sub-chassis in favor of a Sole or Greenstreet. After that, it's really diminishing returns.

jeff

I bought an LP12 with serial #21xxx which I think means it is old. It has a Valhalla upgrade and an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge. A Linn tech set it up and I totally enjoy listening to it, operating it, and looking at it. I know you can go way beyond with upgrades and/or newer models but this old, basically original, from the 70's I believe, LP12 is super fine for me. I use it every day. It is a lot of fun.

Have you seen any LP12's that you are considering?

Mine only does 33. An LP12 that does 45 as well, would be nice. But $50.00 a pop for a record is yow! When a record is cleaned well it sounds excellent unless there is a flaw with the record. I am ok with 33 but I haven't heard a 45 yet... nor a much more expensive LP12.

How far up the chain are you planning to splurge?

The only advice I have is to bring a strobe disc with you. The drive in the LP12 shuts off every 4 revolutions or so, and it coasts for about one revolution, then it starts up the drive again and senses the current draw of the motor and applies correction voltage. If there is any increased friction, like the motor bearing needing oil, the platter will slow down during the off cycle. With a strobe disc you can easily see this. It is possible that the outboard supplies don't do this, I don't know.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Theoman, Do you have a budget and/or some idea of what you are looking for in an Lp12, as there is quite a range here in upgrades, options, and expense? The mid-level Sondek Lp12 is a great value in the used market, but not for the faint at heart AND if you are not yet capable of set-up, you will need the help of a local dealer as the Lp12 set-up is a bit tricky to really bring out your moneys worth. All that said, few tables will give you this much sound for your dollar in the used market. (see my thread in this forum that will guide you to an in depth set-up guide)

One thought is whether you have a preference for the Naim Aro arm, Origin Live, or a Linn Ittok or Ekos arm. All are well proven and good paths with a little different flavor of play and that choice will likely determine which way you will probably need to follow suite on power supply and chassis/armboard compliments. Just to muddy the waters a bit more, Grace, Graham 2.2 and lower, or SME arms have all yielded excellent results with more or less time and aggravation.

By the most part you are going to come to a split in the road at some point with the Sondek Lp12, one road leads to drinking the kool-aid and staying to the "Linn path" which is pretty tried and true through out, not cheap. And the other road to God only knows what! Some after market retro-fit like Origin Live and possibly AudioFlat's "RubiKon" or GreenStreet Audio have merit and some of it is pure rubbish, but to each his own. Talk to most Linn dealers and die hard Linn enthusiasts and you will hear plenty of horror stories of jacked up rigs with $$$$ mods that only made the old shoe box sound "better" when stripped off and chucked in the waste bin.

Where I start to part with the Linn doctrine is only in the matter of expense vs. musical value of return... everyone has their limits. The Cirkus bearing in my opinion is an excellent value and affordable. Any less than an Ittok LVII arm (which is very substantial) and you will be limited in cartridge choice and performance. I would offer you one word of advice, buy a pure stock Linn deck, listen to it, than listen some more, and then read everything you can get your hands on, decide on a logical and planned upgrade path and then if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a Linn LP12. Need some advise on what model to stay away from. what upgrades are good or bad, or even what models are upgradable.

You should stop by Audio Concepts in Dallas next time you are up. They have several table/arm/cartridge combos you can view and listen to.

...and your thoughts or responses???

Hi all sorry to Hi-jack this thread it seemed less inappropriate than starting a new thread, I am in need of a bit of quick advice.

I have a possible purchase a 1984 Linn LP12 sounds as though it is pretty much stock. Has been stored for the last 10 years

1984 Linn LP12 (black stained plinth)
Linn Basik Plus arm
A&R P77 cartridge

Wondering if I should make a go at actually getting this table?
Thanks in Advance

Hi all sorry to Hi-jack this thread it seemed less inappropriate than starting a new thread, I am in need of a bit of quick advice.

I have a possible purchase a 1984 Linn LP12 sounds as though it is pretty much stock. Has been stored for the last 10 years

Linn Basik Plus arm
A&R P77 cartridge

Thanks in Advance
I would have it checked out as it will probably will have to be tuned up. As far as upgrading down the road I would probably go w/a Cirkus upgrade, Cost around $650. It will give you the most bang for the buck. The great thing about LP-12's is that they are upgradeable no matter what year they were built.:music:

Linn Basik Plus arm
A&R P77 cartridge

Thanks in Advance

I would agree with the previous comments. Get that Sondek Lp12 up and running!

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

Thanks for the replys guys, it went a little out of my price range with an offer from another buyer. Was very hard but to be firm with what I could send. I am still in the market and will be in the Linn club soon!

On a Linn, get Vahalla level minimum. The next upgrade is really today's minimum easily supported. Get a tonearm past a Basik, an Ittok is more practical.

Back
Top Bottom