Need advice re: Fisher CA-862A

snowdrifta421

Hi, I recently aquired this Fisher model CA-862A. It Powers on :thmbsp: and then after a few seconds, :thumbsdn: it shuts off, any ideas??
Thanks in advance :worried:

No idea about the problem
The integrated amp dates from the end of the 80s and is probably (based on models numbered above and below) 100 wpc.
Not sure about the quality, but if it is beefy, hopefully one or more of techie guys will chime in with some suggestions.

If its one of those what I call "standard formula" 100wpc jobs that are a dime a dozen from the 80s I'd say forget it, unless it is something simple like a DC offset adjustment. The cost of the replacement Toshiba discretes that most of the bigger amps use is often more than the cost of finding a replacement of the amplifier.

Unless... if you're lucky maybe its one of the ones that needs the remote to turn on, hence flipping the main switch puts it into standby mode. In which case it clicks on for a few seconds on the powerup and kicks off into "standby". May or may not need a remote to turn it off or on. This model sounds familiar and I probably have one, but where I'm not sure at the moment.

These don't need a remote i own one there 20 lbs receivers and probably are the dime a dozen status receivers but there 120 rms per channel at 0.2% THD!!! Not to shabby for a cheapo and ill say this i have some big boys from the late 70's a Realistic sta-2100 and a Technics sa-700 and this receiver keeps up with both of them besides maybe the Realistic is just a pinch more on the high end i would not trade my big boys from one of these not even close but if you want cheap power these little guys will deliver it is currently powering a set of dual 15" pro studio's and it hammers them hard!

Do you know the history on this amp? Seems to have a standby circuit that turns on the main power transformer, so something could be going on there. Have you checked the output transistors, could one or more be bad, causing DC on the outputs causing the amp to shut down? If it has a bad output, check the bias transistor, they seem to be a problem in these amps, I have had to replace them in all the ones I have repaired with bad outputs.

Back
Top Bottom