Need advice Reciever repair

blohrd3

I have a number of vintage recievers all in need of repair, before finding this group I shipped a Pioneer SX-1980 which would only play on one side and a Sansui G-7500 with no power off to a guy in Texas for repair, he tells me he had trouble finding parts for the Pioneer and that the Sansui is not woth repairing due to previous work by another shop. At home I have a Sansui G-9700 that does not power up. I would not know where to begin working on these unit myself. I'm thinking maybe I could have this guy ship both unit to someone who can do the work,and I could follow with the G-9700. It been almost a year and I'm reduced to listening to mp3's on my son's computer. Help me out

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble youre having with these units. But can you elaborate on WHERE you got them from? The SX-1980 was Pioneer's all-time flagship model, its typically not something a hi fi novice would buy (or could afford to buy for that matter). Myself and the other folks here can assist you better if you can provide more background information. Did the SX-1980 come from Ebay and priced accordingly?, or was it found for a bargain price in a dusty garage at a yard sale? Did any of these units ever work properly or did you acquire them knowing they had some issues? You dont have to write a 'War & Peace' novel in your reply, but some pertinent details would be helpful. If you know who the previous Owners were, then I suggest you should ask them for some info on how the units were working and what the circumstances were when they stopped working, as per the logic-based method of thinking that B/F likes to go by :)

How did you find out about the place in Texas where you sent the units for repair? Does that place have a good reputation for their work on vintage hi fi equipment?

Perhaps some parts are difficult to find for the SX-1980, but to arrive at the truth of what the repair shop is claiming, you need to find out from the place, EXACTLY WHICH PART(S)are needed for the Pioneer, is it the huge transformer?, or is it the power output transistors?, as I mentioned- some specific details are needed here.

As for the G-7500, I dont quite understand the shop's attitude. WHAT was the nature of the work by the previous repair shop? How come you didnt bring it back to that shop when it stopped working properly again? Unless the G-7500 is really messed up inside, I dont see why it should be that difficult for the shop in Texas to fix it, if you are willing to pay them the cost to do it which shouldnt have to be an astronomical amount.

By the way, I do have a Sansui G-5500 and a Pioneer SA-7500, both of which work/look fine. I dont use them as much as I wish I could since I have alot of other hi fi equipment (such as the huge Monster in my avatar photo) so if you really could use a decent amp, let me know if youre interested to buy any of these two or both. Its not urgent that I need to sell them, but if you could put it/them to good use, I suppose I could sell. I also have a Sansui 7070, great receiver that I'd hate to part with, but since I acquired a 9090DB, well.., the 7070 doesnt get the use it deserves.

B/F

I'm told that the Pioneer needs power output transistor , two of them which will bring the total cost of repair to approx. $500.00. I found this one a couple of years ago at a Salvation Army store I paid $200.00 for it and it came with Bose 601 series 2 speakers. The G-7500 was bought on ebay, it came with a spare board of some kind the seller had made an attempt to fix the no power situation the shop where it is now says the it was a very amateur job and it would cost more than it worth to correct, paid 85 buck for it. The G-9700 got it from a guy who said it just quit, no lights no nothing, but the aux. plug have power. gave it to me for free. Thanks for the offer of what sound like some good stuff, but I;m going to pass it up at least until I can get one of these repaired. The repair guy say he's found the parts for the pioneer and will email me the info so that I can order the parts. is that standard practice.

Some Pioneer enthusiasts might know the exact part # of the transistor for the SX-1980 you need, otherwise the Service Manual would have it. Once you know what that part # is, you can then check to see where you can obtain it for the best (lowest) price. Perhaps some Pioneer folks on this site can assist you with that. You can also seek out some Info from other places Online, there's several Groups on Yahoo such as 70'sVintageGear and 70'sAudioMinset. Rick Stout particapates in those forums, Rick has a whole Pioneer brochure/manual copying business going on, so he might be able to help you out in more detail with any Pioneer related questions you might have. You can even search the SX-1980 listings on Ebay, both current and past month's auctions, and see if any sellers can guide you accordingly in repairing your SX-1980 or offer their own suggestions for the best course of action if you contact them via email and ask for any help they might be able to provide.

Since you only paid $200 for it, you might still come out ahead if you have the place in Texas repair it, though like most repair places, they dont do their work at bargain prices ($500 you say to replace two transistors), the customer does have to fork over some good bucks for the hourly labor rate and so forth. So, its up to you if you want to go ahead and have them fix it and pay the cost, or an alternative is to list it on Ebay, state that it needs 2 power out transistors, and you can probably sell it for a good amount and use that money to buy something that works fine and should be more than enough power for you, such as an SX-1250.

As for the Sansui's, well any problems with the G-7500 you shouldve made sure about before buying it from the seller by asking him questions beforehand. Well, you can still consider relisting it on Ebay, there are probably alot of people out there who can use G model parts, doesnt have to be just a G-7500, alot of parts can apply the G-5500 as well and other models- such as the volume & tuning knobs etc...

The G-9700 - could be some blown fuses. Echo Wars, an AK member here has repaired quite a few Sansui's for people on this site, if he isnt too busy at the moment doing more repairs, maybe you can arrange to have the receiver sent to him and he can check it out for you and let you know whats wrong it and what would be involved to have it successfully repaired. Good Luck.

B/F

The output transistors on the 1980 are rare as hen's teeth...but that last ones I saw for sale were going for about $80 each.

If I had a personal unit, I'd be seeing if there was a way to sub new (and much cheaper) devices for the originals. This would destroy the value of the unit though....

I seem to recall the Kenwood KR 9600 outputs are the same - about $80 each. Those in the know can find a sub that works for less. If you decide to sell the 1980 I think they can go for $500-$600 even with no output. Crazy but that's life. :nutz:

The KR-9600 has an output power pak that looks a lot like a STK module with about 10 pins.

The 1980 has huge oddball-looking 4-pin transistors (two collector connections), three NPN and three PNP for each channel. IIRC, they measure about 2" by about 1". As far as I know, the 1980 was the only amp in the world that used these.

I can't remember what the device numbers are for the 1980...manual went with the receiver to PunkerX to examine the tuner section. All I know is that they show up very infrequently, and sell for stupidly high prices...

The dude whining about $37 each made me laugh...Pioneer might list the parts still, but they do not have them, nor can they get them...

If I found some for $37 each, I'd buy as many as I could afford and sell 'em....:D

Thanks to all, the gist of the matter seems to be that the shop is right about the Pioneer SX-1980 parts being hard to come by. I not expecting to sell it, so can anyone suggest transistors that can be used in place of the OEM outputs, something a bit more available. Echowars I sent you a pm about the Sansui's I know you must be a busy man, but anytime you have an opening let me know and I'll have either or both winging your way.

Back
Top Bottom