Need Advice - Should I buy a Fisher Tube Amp without original transformer?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by ScottFan355, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ScottFan355

ScottFan355 Active Member

Hello everyone! I have the opportunity to buy a working (but in need of restoration) Fisher x-101b for $180. However it doesn't have the original output transformer, though it does have original tubes in working condition. Should I go for it? I don't particularly need it, I have a working tube amp. This would be for me to learn how to work on tube electronics. Seems like a steal, but given the transformer and my lack of knowledge I'm unsure.

2. ScottFan355

Also the seller claims the transformer meets original specs.

3. vaathi

vaathi baski Subscriber

Is this the one in fremont with one output transformer dead?

4. ScottFan355

No. The replacement transformer is labelled 'Triad' if that helps/means anything.

5. gogofast

gogofast AK Subscriber Subscriber

One transformer replaced or both?
    I'd think that replacing both makes sense, but on the other hand, if at least one is original, you can track down a single one somewhere I guess. Either way, I don't think you can match Fisher tranny 100% unless that Triad is what Fisher used originally. Anyway, heck, for $180, I'd be all over it already.

6. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

I can tell you of my non-Fisher transformer in a Fisher experience:
    I have two Fisher 400s
    One of them has original Trannys, and the other has both opt transformers replaced with Hammonds. I honestly can not tell them apart. They both have had the same recap, but both run very different tube compliments... still I can not tell the difference running them through the same speakers.
    I would say that both opt should be the same though.
    I also have a KX-100 and Love It. By all means, buy the Fisher. Work out the transformers later.