Need camera suggestions!

Bassblaster

Hello! im in the market to get a good camera for $200 or less.
Things i need

1: it HAS to have focus! i need it to be able to take clear photos close up on things
2: Photos have to be high res, say 8MP at least?
3: needs to take clear video. at least 720p and again has to be able to focus on things that are close.
4: lens can't be one of those deals where everything looks fisheyed.

ive been eyeballing a Canon ELPH 340 HS but the video looks grainy, especially in lower light. however stills look rather good.

Toss me some suggestions!

Last edited:
The 340HS is a good choice. It has a lot more than 8 MP and image /video quality is pretty good. My advice is to look at the Panasonic Lumix and Sony models in that price range. $200 will only buy a small sensored camera, which is the reason for the grainy video in the Canon. Video in low-light is grainy because the camera turns up the ISO insane levels to make a usable video.

If you can go up to $400 then your options open up. Currently the excellent Sony RX100 is selling for about $400, a it the basic Nikon J1. Both have 1-inch sensors, which are much larger than the 1/2.3 sensors in the Canon. Both cameras image quality is far better than a camera in the Canon's class.

I've seen used Olympus Pen micro 4/3 cameras for around $250 with kit lens. Their video isn't stellar but it's a far and away superior to the point and shoots. Adorama and B&H Photo both have large inventories of quality used cameras.

My wife has a Canon A4000IS (similar to the 340) which has 16 MP. My Canon SX110 has only 9 MP but it has better IQ than the much newer 4000IS. I've always thought 6 MP enough for a 1/2.3 sensor and the sweet spot about 8 MP, which puts my SX110 right there. Both Canons have a "macro" setting and do very well. The SX110 can get as close as 1 cm and has a very good lens. I don't suggest you buy a 110 as it is a 9 year old model that uses AA batteries but and model in the SX series is a desirable camera and probably better than any of the Powershots short of the "G" models, which are semi-professional grade.

Some of the Sony NEX series cameras can be bought used in that price range. They are now called the Alpha series which is also what they call their DSLRs which can be confusing.

I had a NEX C3 for a while and was really impressed by it.

I mostly shoot DSLRs but my main compact cameras are Canon S100 and an S90. The S90 isn't great for video but for stills, the S100 is impressive for something that literally fits in a pocket.

Many current cameras are likely better than the user can extract so be sure to get to know the camera well.

I just reread my post and that last sentence kinda sounded like I was saying you didn't know what you were doing. That's definitely NOT what I meant at all!

Back
Top Bottom