Need cartridge suggestions for new Technics SL1200G

crouse

Poorly known member
Subscriber
I'm taking the plunge and ordering one of the new Technics. I know zilch about matching cartridges to arm. So, if any of you good folks can suggest a cartridge based on the specs of the tonearm, I would greatly appreciate it. The specs can be found here: http://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html#specs As far as sound goes, I don't want anything too bright. I don't have a preference of MC or MM, but I do need to keep the price under $1500.
Thanks

You could give the Grado Prestige Gold a try. Kevin at KAB has one on his system and it sounds amazing with his set up. You could also upgrade the stylus to the 8MZ.

If your phono stage can handle low-output moving coil (LOMC) cartridges, then consider the Dynavector 17D3 or 20X2L. There's also the 20X2H which is the higher-output version of the 20X2L, for phono stages that lack enough gain for LOMCs. These will set you back $900 to $1300 and should do well on an SL-1200G.

If your phono stage can handle low-output moving coil (LOMC) cartridges, then consider the Dynavector 17D3 or 20X2L. There's also the 20X2H which is the higher-output version of the 20X2L, for phono stages that lack enough gain for LOMCs. These will set you back $900 to $1300 and should do well on an SL-1200G.

This^^^^ If I were buying that table, I would go with an LOMC cartridge, and these would be on my short list.

Indeed. :) I've also heard good things about Audio Technica's AT33PTG - which goes for about $500 (from Japan). But haven't had the opportunity to hear one myself.

Hi,

With a $1500 budget, the world is pretty much your oyster.

The technics arm is medium mass and can handle just about any
modern cartridge you can throw at it. What it can't handle is older
ultra high compliance classics for low mass arms, but such types
simpy don't exist in the modern market place.

One could argue, and I would agree, that a detachable bayonet
mounting headshell arm has no place on a $3000 turntable, no
matter how good it is, but Technics could not change that aspect.

With a $1500 budget I'd be looking at $750 for the cartridge
and $750+ on a serious arm upgrade, given the new arm
unused should fetch a very decent price from DJ types.

Perhaps this combination :
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/hana_sl_e.html
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/audiomods_e.html

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Benz M2 and Soundsmith Carmen are good choices with the 1200. I am pretty happy with the LOMC Ortofon MC20 Super II I am using and it's well below your budget. As for the headshell, the Orsonic's are VERY nice

I don't see the point of buying the turntable if you're going to ditch the tonearm right away. At that point buy a different turntable. I'm sure you can find an enjoyable cartridge well within your budget for the new 1200.

Last edited:
Too low in food chain. Something at $2000 range will be appropriate.

What do you mean? As far as moving magnet carts go, AT150mlx is surely amongst the best currently available (sort of). I couldn't say how it would compare with any moving coils, I've never used one.

Audio Technica ART-9!

AUDIO_TECHNICA_AT-ART9_capsula_giradiscos_premium_sonido_profesional_dj.jpg

I don't see the point of buying the turntable if you're going to ditch the tonearm right away.
At that point buy a different turntable.
I'm sure you can find an enjoyable cartridge well within your budget for the new 1200.

Hi,

Point was its a better option than chucking $1500 at a cartridge for it, even thought its $3000.

It is not available without arm, same as the original 1200, and for hifi as opposed to DJ'ing
it is accepted an arm upgrade is very valid path for the original 1200 before chucking
expensive catridges at it. If you want the turntable you must buy the arm.

Ditching the arm immediately might seem a bad idea, but it depends on how much
the new, presumably better arm goes for for DJ enthusiasts with the older model.

As ever, this is just a viewpoint to consider, when bought or somewhere along the line.

rgds, sreten.

What do you mean? As far as moving magnet carts go, AT150mlx is surely amongst the best currently available (sort of). I couldn't say how it would compare with any moving coils, I've never used one.

When someone buys $4K table, it is expected to get cartridge of similar grade. None of modern MM can apply. Otherwise there was no reason to spend that much on TT.

Back
Top Bottom