Need expertice on solution for combo system

garpt

"Analog is BACK!"
Hi all,
Not sure where to post it, we'll try here. I have a decent size home, but unfortunately with my Sis needing to stay with my partner and I after my Mom's sudden death, I only have have one listening space I share for my HT system and higher- end audio (2 channel analog/ vinyl) system. #1 requirement- I don't want to sacrifice my pure old fashioned 2- channel vinyl playback. That is a priority. I have well over $15K invested now just in the two channel analog stuff. But I also have a 65" LG OLED/ 4K with a Rotel processor/ preamp, 5.1 audio playback. Some of the speakers are obviously shared- when I switch the Rotel to "aux" I get my turntable playback through the B&W 802 speakers and dual Martin Logan subwoofers. Switch to home theater multi input, and the center channel and rear speakers are added to the mix along with the various sound processing modes.
For me, the weak link right now is the Rotel, serving dual purpose. It's a good preamp, but getting a bit older (2001) and not of the quality I want for my analog stereo playback.
I have been told the way to go would be an "audiophile grade" preamp with a home theater pass- through. That is well and good but I need one that has 6 outputs- let me explain:
- I bi-amp the B&W's to really get them to sing. I have a five channel Rotel power amp serving that purpose. So that is four (4) outputs, 2L, 2R. Then, I need another discreet left and right output for the subs. These need to be low level outs directly to the self- powered Martin Logan's.
Does a very high quality preamp exist that would meet these requirements *and* have the HT bypass? I am finding nothing in my research.
Thanks! -GT

Have you looked at the McIntosh MX122/MX150/MX160 HT processors? The MX122 has two SW analog unbalanced RCA or balanced XLR connections.

Have you considered using one subwoofer output with a split cable? Wireworld can make one up pretty easily which is what I use with my

Have you looked at the McIntosh MX122/MX150/MX160 HT processors? The MX122 has two SW analog unbalanced RCA or balanced XLR connections.

Have you considered using one subwoofer output with a split cable? Wireworld can make one up pretty easily which is what I use with my
I'm going to look at the McIntosh units you mentioned now. I've never been in a position to own McIntosh equipment, but this might be the way to get started.
The reason I would like to get the two sub outputs is to have discreet left and right program material going to each sub for more accurate bass reproduction, if that makes sense. Maybe with the frequencies we are talking about, (under 80hz, certainly) it wouldn't matter? I actually just saw the new Parasound P6 which does have L/R low level outputs, but I was hoping for a step up in quality, even though I know Parasound is an excellent value, I want several steps above my Rotel.

Many enthusiasts, myself included, make do with one system in one room that doubles as a two channel and HT system. My solution was to build a (IMO) very good dedicated two channel system to which I added HT capability. When playing two channel material the gear listed in my signature along with some other two channel sources are what I use. It's pure two channel with the only restrictions being budget based. All my two channel sources are connected directly to my preamp.

All HT/surround sources are connected directly to the pre/pro. For HT/surround I place my preamp in bypass mode turn on the surround amps, speakers and pre/pro. From that point on all control rests with the pre/pro. I feel this is the best compromise I can implement.

So, I have a (IMO) very good dedicated two channel system that with the flick of a couple of switches becomes a pretty good HT/surround system.

FWIW: My additional surround gear is an Emotiva UMC-200, 2 x Adcom GFA-545's an electronic crossover, Acoustat Model 1's (ESL), dual subwoofers and several HT sources.

My solution doesn't work if you use a receiver based system.

Many enthusiasts, myself included, make do with one system in one room that doubles as a two channel and HT system. My solution was to build a (IMO) very good dedicated two channel system to which I added HT capability. When playing two channel material the gear listed in my signature along with some other two channel sources are what I use. It's pure two channel with the only restrictions being budget based. All my two channel sources are connected directly to my preamp.

All HT/surround sources are connected directly to the pre/pro. For HT/surround I place my preamp in bypass mode turn on the surround amps, speakers and pre/pro. From that point on all control rests with the pre/pro. I feel this is the best compromise I can implement.

So, I have a (IMO) very good dedicated two channel system that with the flick of a couple of switches becomes a pretty good HT/surround system.

FWIW: My additional surround gear is an Emotiva UMC-200, 2 x Adcom GFA-545's an electronic crossover, Acoustat Model 1's (ESL), dual subwoofers and several HT sources.

My solution doesn't work if you use a receiver based system.
I think what I'm lookinf is similar in theory, maybe not practice, to what you have. My assumption is a top tier 2 channel preamp for my analog 2 channel stereo with bypass input/ output, so when that preamp is off, everything is fed to my Rotel HT processor, when I turn on the 2 channel preamp, I can use just my turntable through the 2 channel preamp. I looked at the McIntosh units, basically, that would replace everything with one preamp to handle both duties, but obviously high quality stereo as well. I just don't know if I want to spend $6K to $10K for that route. I'm not that huge a home theater buff. A decent 5.1 system is more than adequate for me. I'm never going to build an 11.2 system and need all those modes.

If you have specfic material going to a right and left SW, then the MX122 will support that function.

Since it is a A/V based pre-amp/processor, there's no need for the HT bypass and it's 2-channel performance is exemplary.

I know, I know...I am going on about McGear here but I can't help it. I've had all kinds of brands and systems over the years but McIntosh just does it for me and I'll not be switching again.

If you have specfic material going to a right and left SW, then the MX122 will support that function.

Since it is a A/V based pre-amp/processor, there's no need for the HT bypass and it's 2-channel performance is exemplary.

I know, I know...I am going on about McGear here but I can't help it. I've had all kinds of brands and systems over the years but McIntosh just does it for me and I'll not be switching again.
Exactly. I can just toss the Rotel, which is fine. I wouldn't be against that, but like $7K to 10K for a TON of processing power I'd never use- great stuff. You think McIntosh would know their customers are audiophiles first and make a more bare bones HT system incorporated with the sweet 2 channel capability.

Even before the advent of HT, the MX line was McIntosh's leading bleeding edge, incorporate everything and do everything box. The only thing it didn't do was drive speakers. As technology changed so did the MX so as to adapt and provide the tech customers were moving to. I don't think they ever created a simple pre-amp/processor in the MX model line. The rest of the pre-amps, such as the venerated C series and the very capable CA integrated models, never did process as much tech as the MX line did.

I would agree a simple HT box would be nice and I, for one, would adopt one along with one of the tube C series 2-channel pre-amps and have the best of both worlds.

However, the MX line is no slouch in the 2-channel department. I have thoroughly enjoyed the 3 different MX units I've owned over the years and never did follow through with getting a stand alone C series tube pre-amp simply because the analog sections of the MX perform so well.

Good luck as you move forward with your search.

I was quite surprised when the auto calibration of my UMC-200 selected big for my rear speakers I had no idea that any auto calibration would differentiate surround speakers with an extended frequency response. The bi-amping and dual subs definitely made a difference.

If you require a lot of inputs, and different formats of video from base band up to HDMI you want a MX 151/150. The are the same except for the soft ware and the name tag on the rear the the face plate. If you want 4 K. then its a 160 or 122. 160 and 122 won't do what a 151 one will and I am not ready for 4K so I'll stick with my 151. You won't believe how good the digital processing it. I use a MP 100 phono pre-amp for MC cartridges. When you switch between the balanced out put of the MP 100 versus the digital out put both feeding the MX 151, you can't tell the difference at first, It takes a long time, but I think I prefer the digital connection for recordings with a lot of complexity.

Back
Top Bottom