Need Headphone Recommendations

hellhound94

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been an audio enthusiast all of my life but have very little experience with headphones. For various reasons, however, I'm now in the market for a good set. I own about a dozen Marantz receivers and for the most part would be using the headphones with a 2245 or 2270. I would prefer not to use a headphone amp unless absolutely necessary (mainly because I DON'T own a headphone amp!)

Any suggestions, advice etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Closed, open, or in-ear? Price range?

I have always been kind of partial to Koss 'The Plug' in-ear phones, but many other people dislike them intensely. I hear Etymotics are good, but have never owned any.

Grado SR60 has always been a favorite. They're an open-back, on-the-ear headphone, sp they don't do a great job of rejecting outside noise...but boy do they sound great.

I like the current crop of Sennheiser headphones. There are a broad array of types, styles, and prices.

Love Love Love my Sony MDR-v6's after at least ten years on them. On my third pair of earpads, velvet Beyerdynamic replacement pads, in fact.

Best $100 audio dollars I ever spent.

I believe the modern consumer equivalent is the 7506. Not the 600 - that's not what you want.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure of some of the terminology you guys are using but I'll try to give you a better explanation of what I'm looking for.

I have a set of Sony headphones that I picked up at Best Buy for about $50 if I remember right (I'm at work so I can't tell you offhand what model number they are). I bought them to use on the treadmill early in the morning so I don't wake the rest of the household up. I plug them into either a TV set or a Walkman. They are the type that fit over the ears and once you have them on you can't hear anything going on around you.

This is the type I prefer as these seem to work quite well. I've tried hooking them up to a Marantz receiver (2238, I believe) and they work quite well.

I'm looking for something which will give me MORE of what I'm experiencing with the Sonys, especially more bass, as the Sonys seem sort of lightweight in the bass area.

As far as what I'm willing to spend? How about $200 max.

Well, if you already like that Sony, I'll second the Sony MDR-V6/-7506 recommendation. It has excellent bass, as long as your amp can drive them (and by amp, I mean the amp built in to the Marantzes). It's probably my favourite cheap phone for without a dedicated headphone amp.

Although I haven't tried the Koss Pro 4AAAAAAAAT (or whatever its nomenclature is).

Dusty Chalk said:
Well, if you already like that Sony, I'll second the Sony MDR-V6/-7506 recommendation. It has excellent bass, as long as your amp can drive them (and by amp, I mean the amp built in to the Marantzes). It's probably my favourite cheap phone for without a dedicated headphone amp.

The V6's are easily the most comfortable headphones I've owned, and I've gotten great "mileage" out of 'em. That said, they tend to sound a bit bright, and I suspect there are better, albeit more expensive ($200ish), options now (Beyerdynamic, AKG). I have a pair of Grado SR225s, which sound like heaven compared to the V6's, but the un-comfy fit / open-back style means I can only wear them on special occasions :music:.

I picked up a set of Sennheiser hd 580's for $149 earlier this spring from macmall.com and have been extremely happy with them. For under $200 I simply can't imagine a better product, how many other "reference" quality audio products exist at this price? The sound is excellent, as it should be for a product that shares drivers with the more expensive hd 600's.

Overall the build quality is really quite excellent, these things were built to last. They're very comfortable. The sound is excellent, if you don't have a headphone amp they will make you want one. I recently hooked my sacd player up via my analysis plus interconnects to a really low level late 90's sony 5.1 ch receiver and was floored by the quality of sound I heard, MUCH better than directly out of the player. These things definitely reveal any improvements, this experiment has really made me wonder what a good dedicated amp with the cardas cable upgrade would sound like.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I still haven't made up my mind but plan to check out as many reviews as I can find over the next day or two and place an order over the holidays. I'll let everyone know what happens! Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

That headphone-dot-com website is great. I'm not even in the market, but I spent about 45 minutes comparing the frequency responses of various models. That is some fun!

Lots of opinions on lots of models, but if I had to give a general guide, I'd say:

BEST sound comes from Stax earspeakers, but they are not closed-cup like your Sony's, they "leak" sound so others around you can hear it, they look very nerdy when worn, usually come with their own power supply/amp, and are ungodly expensive. Never owned a pair, but have demo'd them. Not what you are looking for, but 'awesomely' good sounding. :music: :thmbsp:

Next in ranking:

Beyerdynamic
Sennheiser
Grado

Any of the higher-end models from these manufacturers will sound quite good. Which model probably depends on your budget, and which you find most comfortable to wear. Grados are not fully enclosed, though, which from your post might be a consideration.

If you can find a pair, you might consider vintage Pioneer SE-505's. I listen through them almost every evening to either a 2285B or a 2275 (very similar sound to the 2770 you mention). From the same sound period as the amp, and with the dual-drivers in an enclosed cup with volume and tone controls on each side, it sings pretty sweetly, and would be similar to your Sony but (IMO) nicer. Not quite up to the best of the brands mentioned above, but better than their lower- and mid-range products, and probably cheaper (if you can find a pair). You would need to do the DeOxit thing on the controls, though.

KOS makes some good ones, too. The only place I've used them (since back in the seventies!) was doing video voice-overs in a studio, not really hi-fi listening, so I can't comment on their limitations, but for canned music and spoken voice they seemed excellent reproducers.

I love the sound of my Sennheiser (650's). However, it sounds like you want a
pair of "closed" headphones. Be aware that open types do leak a lot of sound,
and can be annoying if others are in the same room as you, trying to watch
tv, etc.

Back
Top Bottom