Need help choosing a DAC for my setup

Escaron

This will be the first DAC I own. My current set up is Musical Paradise MP301 integrated tube amp and Axiom M3 bookshelves. From what I've read about these speakers for the most part they're considered fairly neural (slightly warm) and resolving of what's upstream from them. I'm not looking for an overly warm DAC or an "analog" sounding DAC, I think already get that from the tubes and I have a separate LP set up if I want that kind of sound. For the most part I just want a DAC that will be accurate to the original recording. I don't mind slightly warm or even slightly bright, but I don't think I want another tube DAC for example.

I don't listen through headphones so no use for DACs that have a headphone amp (mp301 already has that covered). If the DAC is good and happens to offer that feature, that's fine, but I don't want to be paying extra for something I won't use. Price is a consideration, if I can save a couple hundred $ to spend elsewhere like on cables or a power conditioner that's great too.

I will be listening about 50/50 between spotify and flac files through foobar > wasapi PCM > DAC. I don't care for DSD support as I don't have anything in that format.

I've narrowed down my options to the following DACs (listed in order of preference), prices in CAD as that's where I'm located (these are based on what I've seen online through various audiomarts).

I'm wondering if anyone can chime in and help me make a choice. Any help appreciated!

New Schiit Bifrost 4490 - ~$600CAD (when you count shipping and duties) - this is my first choice primarily because it seems to get glowing reviews online, the DAC is considered accurate and neutral which sounds like it would pair well with the rest of my system. It's also the least expensive DAC on the list (and the only one I can afford new). There's also the option in the future for upgrades from Schiit or to move to multibit (I'm sort of ruling out multibit to start as I'm not entirely sold on the benefit vs. 4490 for the extra $300CAD that it would cost me and I've heard that it adds a warmer more tube like tone to the DAC which I'm not necessarily looking for)

Used Benchmark DAC1 HDR - ~$800CAD - second choice because in the past it seems to have been the "benchmark" for DACs around $1k, my concern is how quickly technology becomes obsolete and whether something that was considered state of the art 3-4 years ago would still outperform a Bifrost for example. It's also a bit more expensive. From what I read it seems to produce the kind of sound I'm looking for and I like that I have the option of using it as pre-amp in the future (I have a pair of SS mono block amps that eventually I want to put together into a separate stereo system and it would be nice to re-purpose the DAC1 for that a couple years down the road)

Used Ayre Q-9 (non DSD) - $800CAD - I've heard amazing reviews of this unit, but same as the DAC1 above, I'm just worried that I'll be paying more for arguably obsolete tech..although again, I don't know how quickly DAC tech changes, it seems like a lot of DACs from 10 years ago are still relevant today, so maybe it doesn't change that much at all

Tied for last choice (Used Matrix X-Sabre - $700CAD, Used Teac UD-501 - $600CAD, Used Audiolab M-DAC - $650)

Thanks!

Can we borrow your ears and money to buy all of these DACs and spend some time with them listening? We'll get back to you in a couple of months with a precise answer. If seriously, all of these DACs are respectable units and will work for your needs. They will all sound slightly differently, and you may like some more than others or may not hear any differences at all. Buying used at a good price, having a couple of DACs at a time for a month, then selling one you like the least, repeat if necessary, is a good strategy to finding the DAC you will love, even if you will end up burning some extra cash in the process. Some just buy Schiit and call it a day, that often works too.

I'd probably just get the Modi MB and spend the rest elsewhere as you mentioned (cables/power conditioning).
It'll get the job done till you've figured out what you're really after in a DAC.
Then it'll be NBD to recoup a decent % of your initial investment by selling the Modi MB.

JMO ~ YMMV

Bret P.

Yeah, start small. We've just had someone willing to drop $400 on a DAC who ended up being quite happy with a Chromecast Audio for $25.

I will not say any of the above options are better than others as I didnt listen them except for the Audiolab M-DAC.

But I have an Audiolab 8200CDQ which is a top quality DAC with a CD transport included in the pack and an excellent class A pre-amp built in. Guess you can have a used one and you will kill 3 birds with one stone (excellent DAC, pre-amp and of the best modern CD transports).
You can play with different filters, you can also try various combinations: pre-amp can be run as digital (gives you better, clearer sound) or analogue in combination with your existing amp as a power amplifier. The pre-amp section can be cut off completely if you want to use it just as a DAC or transport with your existing amplifier.
The DAC section is basically the same as in M-DAC and they will sound the same. M-DAC can be used as a pre-amp from what I know. With 8200CDQ you have the bonus of a very, very good CD transport on top of a great DAC already. I am not sure about M-DAC but with 8200CDQ you also have 2 XLR inputs and 3 x RCA inputs meaning you can connect other equipment.

I also run the 8200CDQ with a small HP notebook with Foobar and Wasapi. Set the notebook to keep running with the lid down and stream the FLAC files to the USB input of the 8200CDQ. Very easy and it works a treat. Plus points: there is a Foobar Controller Pro app. It costs something like 5 dollars, ad-free. I installed on my Android phone and control the Foobar from my listening position without any effort. Creating playlists, deleting songs etc. basically everything you want you can do with this controller.

In the end, the sound of M-DAC and Audiolab 8200CDQ will be the same. It will be only up to you which one you choose. Both are solid options, multiple awards, especially the 8200CDQ.

IMPORTANT: if you choose the M-DAC or the 8200CDQ make sure you disable the pre-amp section before, if you are planning to use the pre-amp section of your tube amplifier. Disabling the pre-amp stage on both M-DAC and 8200CDQ is easy and well explained in the manual.

Oh! and the sound is clear, dynamic but very musical at the same time with fantastic detail.

Back
Top Bottom