Need help for a Shiva...what do I bring?

MannyE

Exterminate!
My kids want to go to a Shiva home for their friend's grandmother. I have no idea what to get for them to take. Cookies? Fruit? I don't think they keep Kosher, but I don't want to screw it up.

Got a legitimate Jewish bakery nearby? They could maybe provide an appropriate basket and some tips for the visit. The family might not keep Kosher, but some guests may, so I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution there.

The usual suggestion is to bring something sweet - so nothing wrong with cookies or fruit. In Miami Beach I'm gonna make a wild guess and say there's a Jewish bakery that could make some suggestions.

Cheers,
Larry B.

yeah, party sandwiches or cookies, cakes, etc. all a safe bet. probably not necessary to get something strictly kosher, but i'd avoid anything that has actual pig in it....you don't want to offend any extended family that might be more religious.

Thank you guys! I didn't think of going to a Jewish bakery and yeah... there are plenty here in Miami Beach. :)

Same English spelling, different meaning. "Shiva" in Hebrew means seven, and denotes the seven day formal mourning period observed by observant Jews.

The practice is known as "sitting shiva", and there's a whole bunch of formalized behavior that goes with it.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Back
Top Bottom