Need help getting an sx-580 tuning knob off

ManFromPorlock

Got an SX-580 at a yard sale this weekend, not much of a score ($10) but the weather has been so bad for so long that I bought it anyway to please the yard sale gods :D. Come to take it apart for cleaning and all the knobs pull off except the tuning knob, which either has a death grip on its shaft or is held by some hidden screw I can't see. All the other Pioneers I've searched on AK have a tuning knob held on by a 1.5mm screw but if there's a screw on the 580 I can't see it.

So, help! How do I get the knob off?

I had this happen to me on a Realistic receiver I had. Try taking off the cover and looking to see if the shaft from the knob gos in further past the glass. The set screw might be on the inside. Not saying thats what it is but it could be worth a try.

I have similar problem with an sx-636. I can't remove the volume or balance knobs. All the rest have pulled-off ok, but these two will not shift. Looks like I need a heavy-duty wrench, lie on my back with feet against facia and pull for all I can! These have likely been super-glued on by previous owner due to loose fit, I would think.
Anyone have a solution without wrecking the Unit?

There is no set screw for sx-580. I guess somebody glue it with superglue. It is tough then because this knob is made of plastic thus the bond is possibly stronger than the knob itself. Maybe you can tap on it with a hammer (cover the knob with fabric) and wiggle back and forth. Be careful not to break the glass screen, though.

Back
Top Bottom