Need help identifing speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Pat Kettler, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Pat Kettler

Pat Kettler New Member

These are Electro voice speaker cabinets put together by my Dad, early '50s. But I think they may be JBL speakers. Does anyone know for sure? There is a knob in the presence position labeled JBL.
    upload_2017-9-11_15-46-4.jpeg upload_2017-9-11_15-46-33.jpeg

2. lifer70

lifer70 What? Subscriber

That bullet tweeter looks JBL.

3. portnoy

portnoy AK Member Subscriber

Do you have a pic of the connectors in the back? If it looks like a complicated connection that would involve a matching mid level speaker on top then it's the Heath-Kit (Radio Shack) ... something or another.

32751820025_3f5a419a44_b.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. Pat Kettler

Pat Kettler New Member

The regular old speaker wire lying on the floor goes inside and up the front. The connector on the outside has nothing connected to it.
    upload_2017-9-11_16-11-40.jpeg

5. portnoy

portnoy AK Member Subscriber

Yeah I've seen electro-voice's with those mid / high attenuator knobs on the side like that.

6. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

EV Aristocrat cabinet.

JBL 075 "bullet" tweeter.

Maybe a JBL D123 woofer.

Nice setup!

You'll want to check around inside and make sure the wiring and crossovers are OK. You could connect the rear panel input jacks while you're in there. The Aristocrat has tiny screws on the front where the grille cloth meets the square frame. Gotta look for them. Then the front will slide out, DOWNward. So it will have to be on its side or back or upside down. [Edit: I see you got the fronts off already, duh]

Take your time, these are very cool especially since they're from dad.

7. Pat Kettler

Pat Kettler New Member

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!!!! I thought about taking the panel off behind the front cabinet panel, but didn't want to take the chance that I would split the wood or strip the screws. Did I reduce their value when I changed the front fabric/metal cross hatch when I was younger... thought it was not very attractive?

8. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well maybe but I have seen different versions of the Aristocrat as I recall. They are not super valuable in the marketplace, probably your drivers make up the majority of the value if they are working and genuine JBL. As long as you take reasonable care (avoid poking those woofer cones with a screwdriver, it happens quite often!), if there is brittle wood or bad screws those can be fixed or replaced. These are like an old car, it's OK to change tires, and it's not a '32 Duesenberg. :p The main thing is that you have good quality drivers there and you aren't even thinking about changing them out (nothing to be gained there), so everything else is details.

You can remove the woofer to get inside the cabinet unless it is mounted from the back. In which case, better to remove the whole panel if you can.

If there are ancient crossovers in there they might be due for some new capacitors anyhow. Wouldn't hurt to take a look and post some pics. And the rear of the drivers would clarify exactly which drivers they are - especially the woofer.

9. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

Most probably a JBL D123 as evidenced by the voice coil leads, the dome (which appears to have been smashed in), the ribbed cone, and the edge.

10. Nat

Nat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I believe it is a EV Marquis cabinet. Fully stuffed, a good sounding speaker.
    The JBL drivers are desirable, but the L75 is capable of being very bright if not padded down. And subtlety is not its strong suite.