Need help identifying Electro-Voice 15", other EV

tubino

A guy with too many tubes
Today I picked up a trashed 5-6 cu. ft. cabinet with a Magnavox emblem but EV drivers inside:
15" woofer, no model marking
1 midrange horn thingy, no model indicated
1 T35 tweeter, the chrome style (early?)
1 X436 crossover

The woofer and T35 were both marked with a number that apparently was for this driver complement for that cabinet. Crossover points were 400 and 3500. Any help identifying woofer and midrange are greatly appreciated! Number on T35:

219752639-L.jpg

Lovely 15". What model? They left it blank.
219755772-L.jpg

Mystery midrange back.
219754044-L.jpg

Mystery midrange front.
219754003-L.jpg

mrh, you nailed it.

I actually went to that site for old EV docs, but took a wrong turn into SPEAKERS rather than DRIVERS:
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/

And there you have the 18W, but no 15, so I thought I was in the right place, but mostly it's not.

So THANK YOU.

Recently bought a new toy: B&K LCR meter, mod 878, and this is the first time I tried measuring R at 120 hz on a driver. You can hear the tone just fine, so you know it's working! And then 1Khz worked fine on the EV mid too, so you not only measure impedance at a particular frequency, you have a quick and dirty test too. Worth carrying one of these whenever you might run across speakers...

Pulled out the driver from that funny 12" x 12" horn. It's nifty!

219874573-L.jpg

Check out that mini folded horn!
219877397-L.jpg

Remember that whole driver is mounted INSIDE another horn, so the folded horn is firing backwards into the back of this:
219754044-L.jpg

And here's how it looks from the front when together:
219753560-L.jpg

Can someone explain this to me? Can you have a backloaded compression driver which is also front loaded by a small horn?

I looked through the EV docs online, and what I have appears to be a smaller flush-mounting version of the 848HF:
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Drivers/EDS/848HF%20EDS.pdf

I'm more curious than ever to know what drivers are inside the Georgian 400s I bought years ago...

Was it ever determined what that thing is? And what about the EV mids that fire from the front and the back? Can't remember the model number.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom