Need help of a pair of B&W DM5's.....got hosed but was my fault :(

fanghorn

AK Member
Subscriber
So, got a pair or DM5's from Ebay that were suppose to be fine blah blah...bought 'em but did not listen to them until today, two months later...yeah yeah I know believe me...anyway, both tweets are not tweeting and one woofer has that dreaded "scraping" sound when being pushed in a titch...so, with the tweets....crossovers maybe or..?? checked both fuses which look fine, straight wire lines on both ends with a "bulge" in the center which looks like a "M" type fuse....thoughts please??

had a pair of these brand new in the late 70's and am afraid I let nostalgia get the best of me....:(

thanks....

Sadly you've bought a set of very overdriven speakers that are now basically worthless. I hope you paid a very very low figure for them ?

Sadly there are way too many scumbags out there on eBay that will sell you their junk and disappear into the night. This is what happens with faceless selling.

So, got a pair or DM5's from Ebay that were suppose to be fine blah blah...bought 'em but did not listen to them until today, two months later...yeah yeah I know believe me...anyway, both tweets are not tweeting and one woofer has that dreaded "scraping" sound when being pushed in a titch...so, with the tweets....crossovers maybe or..?? checked both fuses which look fine, straight wire lines on both ends with a "bulge" in the center which looks like a "M" type fuse....thoughts please??

had a pair of these brand new in the late 70's and am afraid I let nostalgia get the best of me....:(

thanks....

Have you already left feedback?
You can actually call ebay (long process) and plead your case. You might get money back...

No feedback yet no, will contact him though and see what kind of a response I get first....was hoping that someone here has some spare DM5 parts laying around...

Last edited:
For the Tweeters, try reflowing the Solder connections to the fuse

wish I could...have peripheral neuropathy in fingers and hands and even if I did have soldering skills I would be afraid of "Burning down the House".....

thanks for the tip though!

No multimeter on hand....so, are talking a big probability of the solder being bad rather then bad tweeters or crossovers? I know the woofer is toast...only one I have found for sale so far is on ebay but it has had a crack repaired with glue so not sure about going for that one...

Sorry to hear about your speaker issues, l would nearly bet that there is a break in the tweeter coil lead wires or a bad solder where they attach.

Unless the rules have changed (yet again), I think you have up to 6 months to file a dispute with Ebay, so you may want to at least try to get a refund.

Was able to get a partial refund so at least i have a few $ towards driver and or crossover replacements...if i can find them...

You can step up the tweeters to the TW26, (original is TW20). I used them, 26's, and liked them, but the 20's are more balanced for the speaker. And the 26's are easier to find. It took me 2 years to find the 20's.

Back
Top Bottom