Need HELP on Pioneer HPM-150s

Raycomics

I recently acquired a Pair of HPM-150s without the 15" Woofers.

Does anybody know where I can find a pair of original Woofers for these.

I have heard that these woofs were made of Woven Carbon Fiber, way, way back in 1979.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good grief! Not many of the 150/1500 come up on eBay. Seldom, if ever, do the woofer drivers show up.
You may need to go to Pioneer and ask.
That 15-incher is one very seriously large driver.
It would be more akin to their TAD woofers than anything Pioneer-branded now.
I do know the 12-inch HPM-100/900 woofer is a great woofer.

pete

I just picked up some HPM-40's and 10" woofers have cast alum. baskets and are stamped Pioneer. The cone matterial is not carbonfiber though.

How bad do you want to stay original? Here's a pair of 1500's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1381761276

The mid and tweet have been replaced in one of them with Realistic drivers. Might be a good doner pair. Part the rest of it out after you pull the woofers.

X

While not a great deal for those its not bad. He might even get is price but I doubt it. You have to ask tho what the hell were they thinking putting those drivers in there....I alway think of "Danger will Robinson when I see those" :D

Grumpy

That's at least the second time those have been listed. there was a mint pair a few weeks ago the guy had $800 BIN, someone snipped in at the last minute but didn't meet reserve and ended at $700.

X

Pioneer Woofs

Thanks for the info, Guys. I decided to go with Pioneer Woofs.

The earlier HPM had woofs made out of Graphite. Pioneer stepped up the Woofs on the HPM 150 and 1500. These Special Woofs are now only found on hi-end (read $4800-$26,000 (wow!)) Home Audio and some Car Speakers.

I decided to go with a Pair from their CS-99a Model. Not original, but at least vintage. Will keep you all posted.

Whoever first said: "They don't make em like they used to" sure knew what they were talkin bout.

That was going to be my suggestion, you beat me to it!
I have a pair of CS-99 woofers that I'm looking at, very nice cast frame, big, heavy magnet structure.
Very nice, but they really don't compare to the HPM series woofers. The CS 15-incher weighs about 14-15 lbs. The 12-inch HPM woofer weighs 20-22 lbs. My back guy would frown on me playing with the HPM 15-incher!
The CS-99, like the HPM's, was a ported design. The CS-99A was an "infinite baffle" (sealed box) design.
Should work, though.
I want to know how they sound with the BIG HPM-150 box and complement of drivers.

GOOD LUCK!!
pete

Thanks, Bully....

For the info.

Did some quick measurements. There is about a 3" gap between the CS99a and HPM Box. (HPM Box is Bigger)

My thinking (please correct me if I am wrong) is that Sealed Box Woofers were Stronger (meaning Bigger Magnets) because they have to move air within an enclosed space.

If this reasoning is sound (no pun intended) then the stonger Magnet may compensate for the 3" gap.

Will keep you posted.

Dunno 'bout that, seems almost 'apples and pecans' comparison.
The CS-99A was designed as an 'infinite baffle' speaker system, which is a bit different than a traditional 'air suspension' system.
In an air suspension system, the air in the sealed cabinet is used to add suspension to the cone. So, they can be 'looser' than a cone in a ported design driver, which does not get any 'spring' from air inside the cabinet.
An infinite baffle design would be like mounting a speaker on a boxless baffle board.
I do remember there being some discussion at the time about the CS 'infinite baffle' design, and whether or not it really was an infinite baffle. I'll admit I've never been sure how they could really have an infinite baffle design, or whether Pioneer simply used that terminology for their sealed box.

is everyone as confused as I am right now?
pete

Infinite Baffle "Baffles" me

I will be the first 1 to admit that I am not up of the technical stuff, but, my "Joe Six Pack" Sense tells me that the Pioneer CS-99a Woofs would provide a sonic improvement over the Rat Shack (Realistic Mach II) Woofs that are currently residing in the HPM Boxes.

Hopefully, they will suffice until the day (week, year, decade) I can get the original Woofs back where they belong.

Many thanks for the Mini Sonics Course!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom