Need help removing reel plate on Pioneer RT-707 to replace counter belt (belt replacement tutorial)

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm working on putting a new counter belt on my RT-707, and I'm stumped on removing the reel plate. I have removed the 3 Phillips head screws that I assumed held it on, and it's not coming off. Then I noticed 3 set screws behind the reel plate, and assumed those needed to be broken loose. I loosened them about a 1/4 turn each, and it seemed to disconnect the reel plate from what I assume is the brake drum, but the reel plate still won't come off. I don't want to pry on it. Any idea whats holding it on?

Onebean

IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG

Sure, I'll share. Skywavebe on TapeHeads forum gave me a tip that eliminated the need to remove the reel plate. I fished the belt under the brake band by lifting the brake release arm, and working it underneath the brake band. Once I fished it through, I made sure I was on the correct side of the set screws. I was trying to fish the belt behind the counter and get it onto the counter pulley, but there just wasn't enough room for my fingers and tools in there not make it happen. I ended up removing the 2 screws that hold the counter in place, and gently pulling it away from the machine and tipping it out. There is a switch mounted to that counter bracket, and I left it attached during the process. It took a couple toys, but I was able to stretch the belt enough to get it into the pull groove, and carefully slide it back into place. Then I reinstalled the counter brake mounting screws, lifted the brake lever with my finger, and gave the reel plate a spin. The counter was working and the belt was tracking in both grooves. I'll snap some pictures and add them to this thread to help others that need to replace the belt. If I have to do it again, it would likely take more time to remove the faceplate that to replace the belt. I big thanks to Skywavebe from TapeHeads, I would still be stuck wondering how to remove that reel plate if it wasn't for that help.

Onebean

Here's the details on how I got the new belt installed.

First I removed the black case and the face plate. The meters are not secured by anything but the face plate, so I put some tape on them to hold them in place (out of the way).
IMG_0528.jpg

Then I removed the black plastic brake cover.
IMG_0530.jpg

Then I lifted the brake arm, and fished the belt under the brake band. Once it was fished in there, i made sure it was sitting in the belt groove.
IMG_0531.jpg

Then I removed the 2 screws that hold the counter in place. One is easy to access, the other one is kind of tricky. The 2 screws that get removed are boxed in red. I have 2 pictures of the second screw, because it's position makes it difficult to photo from straight on.
RT707-1.png RT-707-2.jpg RT-707-3.jpg

Then I gently pulled the counter forward, and used a long skinny needle nose to get the belt onto the counter pulley. This took a couple attempts, because the counter was pulled out from the face slightly, but I tipped the left side out to allow access to the pulley. The belt was barely hanging on till I pushed it back parallel with the face. Once i had it roughly in place, I verified the belt position was correct on both pulleys, and I put the screws back in the counter. Then I manually lifted the brake band and gave the reel a spin to verify the counter was moving, and it was. At this point, all you have to do is put the face and black case back on. Ask if you have questions.

Onebean

Thanks for the detailed photos Onebean! You have saved me and others much time I would imagine. I will track down a belt on line and tackle mine as well. I recently ordered new pinch rollers and hope they go on fairly easy as well. I owe you a cold PBR sometime! Thanks.
Relich22

Even though you replaced the belt the table should come off easy because their are spacers under it to adjust the reel table height, but if it's working I wouldn't bother with it

Hello. I went through this process a few months ago, on my RT-701. It is not very difficult, really. I bought the belt on ebay, and I got a simple, two-page, hand-written guide. I am attaching images of these instructions. I thought it might help others changing broken counter belts. I hope I am not infringing any copyright.
IMG_2904.JPG IMG_2905.JPG

After spending 20-30 minutes trying follow several other instructions, and getting a little frustrated, I can tell you these are the easiest instructions to replace your belt.

One alternative to using needlenose pliers (if you don’t have them or are struggling with them) - tape a piece of scotch tape to the belt and to a longer thin flathead screwdriver. Then route the belt down and around the counter pulley. One you get the belt either on the pulley, or at least around the white plastic part of the pulley mechanism, you can then lightly pull up the screwdriver and the tape should pop off. If the belt isn’t quite on the pulley, use the same long screwdriver to carefully move the belt onto the pulley. Good luck and just take your time.

Thanks Onebean. Pictures very helpful.

I followed most of these steps but I just lifted the brake up and wrestled the belt under the brake, and loosened the 2 screws on the counter instead of removing them completely. Then I used picks like a dentist uses and went in from the backside and put the belt onto the counter pulley. Honestly, less than 5 minutes and it was done!
Thanks for all of the above info and pictures. That's what made it so easy.

Aside a new counter belt, my 707 still needs all tape heads replaced (which I do have NOS spares for, but not a job i'm looking foreward to neither). If there's one 'deck' repair I'm posponing, it must be this one!

Might consider changing the direction light bulbs for LEDs while you are in there. The originals are going to burn out eventually. There are simple directions online, and kits to make it even easier. Actually, I did just the opposite. I changed the counter belt when I had to change the direction lights! :)

Back
Top Bottom