Need Help / Suggestions on Best Configuration

bfphillip

Hi everyone... I'm brand new (first post!) to AK, and was hoping for suggestions on the best way to configure my equipment. I'm looking to get the best sound as possible with what I've got, and looking for suggestions on which inputs / setting to use on the turntables, receiver and mixer... any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

My system:
2 Audio Technica 120 Turntables (non-USB)
Numark m101 Mixer (non-USB)
Sansui 2000x Receiver
Pioneer CS63DX Speakers

The turntables have both phono and line settings (they have a built-in preamp that you can turn on or off), the mixer has inputs for both line and phono (and a switch for each side between the two) and the receiver has an Aux and two Phono inputs.

Looking to optimize the system given the above... I'd appreciate all of the help and suggestions you could offer!

Thanks!

First off, welcome!

My first suggestion is to get rid of the mixer - it's simply not needed unless you cross fade tracks a lot. Even then, it's really just an extra piece.
Second, the phono preamp on the Sansui should sound better than the one in the turntables.

Otherwise, good solid system.

And give us some pics! We love pics!

I agree with getting rid of the mixer. The problem is they usually introduce an unwanted hiss to the sound that you don’t want. If it is a powered mixer and you are only interested sing it for the power, then I would search for a more powerful receiver.:needpics:

I agree wholeheartedly with the others - dump that mixer. It's not needed, and will be only another source for potential noise. Use the Sansui 2000 (excellent little receiver, by the way!) phono inputs for your turntables. This is about as simple as you can make it until you add a CD player (a must as far as I'm concerned) and a DA converter, if needed. The Sansui should be pulling the most bass response possible from the Pioneer speakers. That's what the _000 series Sansuis are known for.

GeeDeeEmm

I'm guessing you're using DJ-cartriges of some sort on the Audio-Technicas?
If you like to mix records, just keep the mixer and get a third turntable with a decent hifi-cart for the phono input on your receiver!
Why choose if you can have both ;)

I've had plenty of similar systems myself, albeit mostly with a small monitoring set-up in addition to the main rig.

BTW, I'm not familiar with your equipment, but it might be worthwhile to check if the phono preamps in the turntables are better than the mixers (or vice versa).
Actually, my first mixer was a Numark (the infamous DM900 BlueDog), but the M101 should be in another league.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom