Need help, technics su-8600 deoxit

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Erik318, May 17, 2017.

1. Erik318

Erik318 New Member

Hi!

I have an old Technics SU-8600 integrated amplifier. It belonged to my father, and I got it after he passed away. It is in really nice cosmetic shape overall, and everything seems to be working as far as I can tell. I am using it together with my newly acquired pair of Jbl l96 speakers.

However the switches and pots are slighly dusty/oxidized. After working all the switches and pots back and forth for a good while they do work properly with no dropouts, but there is still a slight scratchy "click" sound when I use them (for example when switching between mono and stereo, or switching between speakers on/off).
    So I figure I should probably try to clean up the pots and switches with deoxit.

I have bought four cans of different types of deoxit:
    Deoxit D5 spray (the new type with the new straw)
    Deoxit D100 spray
    Deoxit Faderlube F5 spray
    Deoxit Faderlube F100 spray

So I'm all set, but I'm not sure exactly where to spray into? And which deoxit products to use where? It seems really tight inside the unit, and the switches are many different types. Also I dont want to overspray and get deoxit all over the circuitboard. Please see pictures

So if anyone could please explain exactly where I am supposed to spray, and what to spray, and how to keep from overspraying, I would be very greatful! The amp has sentimental value to me, so I dont want to wreck it.

I've read pretty much every thread here on deoxit, and it has me even more confused since pretty much all of them just say to "spray the pots and switches". Also it seems some people claim deoxit will ruin the feel of pots or that it will attract more dust rather than help, so I've been very careful about trying this until I'm certain that I know what I'm doing..

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Erik318

Erik318 New Member

Here are some of my best guesses. I've drawn red arrows in the pictures and marked the different places I'm considering spraying. Which of these Points ("A", "B") etc in the different pictures (I've also numbered the pictures 1,2,3,4,5) would be the correct places to spray deoxit?

So it would be great if someone could tell me for each picture, what point(s) to spray.

picture1.JPG

picture2.JPG

picture3.JPG

picture4.JPG

picture5.JPG

Thanks a lot!

3. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Those spots look good. some extras and the #4, maybe a bit higher up, too. Number 3 you are pointing to a gear, maybe better to aim toward the other spot, down the shaft of the slider that makes the contacts. On #2, I use A and don't really need to do any of the others. Some of those pots have a small hole on the side of the cylinder which I use, too. On #1, there are frequently a couple levels to the switch. A stereo unit needs to switch both channels when you rotate the selector. The boards do get wet but all but the lube dries fairly quickly. I usually put some cloth/paper towel around where the excess will run off.

Video it, sent it in to Caig, win a grand, contest entry by May 31, see their site or their post in General announcing a giveaway, I think it links the video contest.

4. Eastham

Eastham More Class A than ever! Subscriber

#1 Makes sure you get both sides

#2 A

#3 Try to spray it in from the little gap at the rear of the case

#4 Yes. Those metal rail's are actually the contacts so spray it in sideways so it flows down them

#5 Yes. Don't worry about getting contact cleaner on the PCB's it's non conductive. Just don't use anywhere where high power switching might be going on like the power switch or it could catch fire. Ask how I know...

5. CAIG Labs

CAIG Labs Manufacturer of DeoxIT Sponsor Subscriber

Erik, You only need to use the DeoxIT D5S-6 or D100S-2 for metal connection. You don't need to use the DeoxIT Fader, because it is formulated for conductive plastic/plastic to plastic connection/carbon compound faders/switches and other similar components.
    DeoxIT D5S-6 & D100S-2 have the same cleaning solution, the difference is D5S-6 has solvent for flushing action while D100S-2 doesn't have solvent (safer to use for older/vintage equipment, especially if there is old plastic part) and it will provide more lubrication.
    I hope that helps.

6. Erik318

Erik318 New Member

Thanks a lot for the help! I think I got a better idea now.

So I'll just spray with D100 or D5 then and skip the faderlube?

/ erik

7. CAIG Labs

CAIG Labs Manufacturer of DeoxIT Sponsor Subscriber

Yes that is correct.