Need help to choose my new headphones

jjjkuk

Hey, everyone. First off, I feel like a douchenozzle for posting this type of thread three years ago and never having updated it because I never went through with a purchase. Well, I'm pretty sure my headphones are actually dead now, so I have no choice!

So here's what I have/had:

-Bose AE2 headphones (r.i.p.)

-FiiO E6 Amp

-Less than $200 to spend

So whatever I get should be at least one step forward from that. I'm looking for a closed-ear pair so I don't have to deal with all the noise wherever I am, especially since I'm out walking a lot. I see a lot of reviews for many headphones saying how weak they are in the bass department, and I'm not a basshead or anything, but a pair with respectable amount of bass (at least after using the amp) would be nice. I feel it's redundant to say how I'd like the whole thing to be perfect like good soundstage, clarity, crisp highs and warm lows, etc. etc. but I'm an audiophile, so all these things stand out for me. And of course, the price range affects it.

My main uses are:

-Music in-doors and out through my iPod Classic.

-Music/audio recording and composing on my laptop at home.

Genres

-Anything, but mostly every genre of rock/metal from every decade and getting into electronic and hip-hop.

Headphones I'm looking at now include:

-AKG K 240

-AKG K 240 MKII

-Sennheiser HD280PRO

-Sony MDR7506 Professional

If any of you brofessors could help me out, I'd much appreciate it. And of course I'll definitely be on top of it this time. Not sure what happened lol.

I'd not suggest those AKGs for a metalhead or for anyone wanting a prominent bottom end. The AKG 550 is a good choice if you want an AKG

I'm not personally a big fan of the 7506s or V6s though they have thousands of fans. They have a bit of a prominent mid or upper mid peak that makes electric guitars really scream. Not a bad thing but I found it to be fatiguing. Still not the very worst choice.

The 280 Pros, along with the V6/7506 have been a studio mainstay for quite a few years. My biggest beef with the 280s is the clamping force is pretty substantial.

Either of those would be a good choice with the mentioned caveats. Like I said, they have many many thousands of users. I'd also suggest the ATH-M40x. It has pros and cons, but it's one of the more popular choices (along with the M50/M50x) and again, you could do a lot worse. If you read or watch the reviews, just be aware the M50 is sort of like Tom Brady. It's fun to hate on them, but that's largely because of their respective popularity and success.

I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic 880s in the 80 OHM variety. It would be great if you could listen to them first or buy from a source that offers a great return policy. They 770s and 990s are also a great phone for a metal listener. One is open, one is closed, on is semi-open. The 880 seems the most balanced. Ample bottom end for metal, a not as crazy bright as the 770/990. The 770 has a really fun bottom end. Really fun. If you get any of these, be sure to get the 32 OHM or 80 OHM version as the 250 or 600 OHMs won't do well with your media player.

I'd suggest you give this video a watch. There's a lot of information in there.

The Fostex TR50P III is a fun phone but I've never heard it with a mobile player. They might not give you enough volume if you like to listen loud.

The Shure SRH series is worth looking into. I've heard at least three of them but I'm not familiar enough to offer specifics on different models. They seem like a good, balanced phones overall.

And for a couple very affordable options, the Philips SHP9500 is a great choice though not with a huge bottom end.

The Superlux HD681 EVO is a interesting option for very cheap. It is more closed and has a bigger bottom end than the Philips, but it is a step or two down in terms of resolution. I'd lean towards the Superlux for electronic music and maybe towards the Philips for metal.

These both bit well above where their price would indicate. I have several pairs of nicer headphones and have been listening to the EVOs on my garage laptop.

For metal,closed back,and easy to drive with +bass my search would start and end with either

VModa M-100-bright option
Meze 99-warm option

both are above your 200.00,but you might get close buying used.

Samson SR950's would seem to meet your requirements. I have a pair, they are closed with a good amount of bass (10Hz-25kHz frequency response, 32ohm impedance) and at $56.00 meet your price. They also sound extraordinary for the price. Personally, not being a basshead, I prefer the SR850's because the SR950's have a bit too much bass for me. It's a good tight bass though.

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR950...TF8&qid=1509992596&sr=8-1&keywords=samson+950

However, if you ever venture into an open design, the Philips SHP9500's are very tough to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9...994078&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+hifi+precision

The SHP9500's are easily converted into an excellent pair of BT phones by adding this little gadget, no wires, great sound.
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...-spons&keywords=mpow+bluetooth+receiver&psc=1

Last edited:
I have the Sony MDR-7506’s I bought last year for travel.

Spotify premium> cheap work laptop> Schitt Fulla.

Was bored last week in my hotel room, from AK recommendations I went to Guitar Center 2 blocks away and bought a pair of 50% off AGK- K240’s. IMO the 240’s don’t sound any better than the Sony’s but I think I prefer their sound (open back not closed maybe). Niether have the to much bass that some people tend to prefer.

I am test driving the 240’s straight out of my CCA as I type this, may actually sound better than the Fulla just doesn’t have the volume.

I seem to prefer the AGK’s but will keep both, closed back Sony’s for the plane and AGK’s (I won’t be the ass on the plane cranking open back headphones) for the room.

Just my .2c

V Moda XS -- dang, they just sound good. My main indoor set is the Senn HD600, and I use the XS when portability or isolation is needed (outside, next to sleeping wife, etc), but sometimes I use them just cuz they're awesome. They are on-ear, but have very soft & silky leather pads. I find them very comfy.

A few years ago I went on a fairly long search and went through a bunch of the most famous/popular <$200 sets. V Moda XS has just the right balance to my ears. Haven't been tempted to stray since I got them.

Don't believe me? See Tyll's review (at innerfidelity.com).

Oh, just try them already!

I would second AKG for over-ear soundstage, even if the closed back could tame it, senheisers are excellent in that area too.
Usually, headphones tend to go lower in frequency than most speakers but wether the bass will be proeminent over the rest or not make it a bass head phone.

If you want to listen on the ipod without the amplifier you should stay away from high impedance headphones

But, the AKG K240 you mentionned is a semi open headphone, it will leak sound outside and you will ear any noise around. Only AKG I know to be closed back is the K550
If you want more bass but relatively flat response you can also try to listen to Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and Koss Pro4S

You buy a lot of HP's :)

The first step is admitting that you have a problem... I have a problem. :oops:

:D

I can wear them most days at work and the ones that I don't love, I can either return or more than likely, sell to one coworker or another.

I’d go with the 280 Pro’s....

They sound great and won’t fall off your head no matter if your running for the bus or catching some air skateboarding. They are almost noise canceling depending on volume settings and most of all......they will survive a torrential downpour like it isn’t even raining. Plus, if something goes wrong with them....you just send them back for repair at minimal cost to you to keep you as a customer. As far as durability, I’d say that it’s difficult to damage them unless you sit on them !!

I'm a Sennheiser fan.

The 650 are a little high for your price range. Maybe try out the 598 or see if you can snag the 650's on sale.

Another option is the Massdrop Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee that just dropped. $150 and it's 150 OHMs rather than the 300 OHMs of the 600/650. It still won't be ideal on a mobile device, but it will be better than the 600/650.

No idea if it will sound more like the 600 or the 650 but for $150, it looks to be a great deal and if you add on a Schiit Magni 3 on down the road, I would expect it to be a fantastic combo for well under what most people have paid for their non Massdrop version of 600 or 650.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones?1

Last edited:
In re-reading this post, I think the AKG 550 or 553 would be a great choice for you if you want a closed design.

A tip is to look on Amazon's site and look for Used Like New options. Mine were $93 shipped. Fantastic overall headphone for that kind of money. Maybe the best overall deal for a closed phone that is very neutral with a nice amount of bass.

Back
Top Bottom