NEED HELP WITH A BROKEN PIONEER RT-1020L

boatdrinks77

Trying to fix a friends 1020L - When you hit the PLAY button, the capstan roller solenoid does not engage. I took it apart, and I have about 20V ac across both sides of the solenoid, and when you engage the play button it drops to about 3V ac across both sides.

Any ideas ? Has anyone seen this issue before ? Any help would be appreciated.

I know I'm being lazy asking for help here, but its not my reel to reel and I don't want to spend endless hours on it if someone here can direct me to the problem. I would like to get it fixed for my buddy. Thanks in advance ! Dan :music:

HiFi Engine has the service manual.

Lol I knew that reply was coming. I have it. I'm an amature in electronics, I always fumble my way through, I was hoping someone could give me some insight.

I was a copier repairman for 25 years, all the solenoids I ever saw were DC. you'd have 5v DC on both sides and when you wanted to fire the solenoid, one side would go to ground. I'm terrible with AC circuitry. This Pioneer 1020L has AC on both sides of the solenoid.... Is that correct ?? Or should it be DC ??? Dan :music:

I've honestly never looked at it. I used to have a 1020L, but it worked fine when it was in my possession. AC circuitry might be a bit of a change in perspective, but if you work through the test points, you should be able to sort out what's going on. You're way ahead of the game as far as learning to test circuits is concerned.

According to the manual, P17 (section 5.2.3), it sounds like you're looking at a problem in Q1, Q602, or D609. If the solenoid is moving, but not enough, it might be improperly installed or have a control circuit problem. P33 and P34 have the schematics, test voltages, and parts lists for those sections.

Don't forget to download the supplemental service manual and make sure you're looking at the right schematics for the version on your workbench. The supplemental manual says it covers serial number 14351 and later.

I read the section about Q1, Q602 or D609...... It is not the solenoid ----- I have the same voltage on both sides of the solenoid, which means there is zero potential difference across the solenoid. I guess I will dig into it tonight..... thanks Sam Cogley for the help so far. Dan :music:

Back
Top Bottom