Need help with a Sanyo RD 5300 cassette deck

tnamrog

So I picked up a Sanyo cassette deck RD 5300 off of craigslist for $20. I checked it out when I bought it and everything seemed to work. When I brought it home and played a tape it had a loud low pitch hum on the left channel and sometimes on both, but consistently on the left. Maybe DC? I was thinking maybe I shook something loose when I moved it around. The other curious thing is when I went to press the stop switch, I had pressure on it but it hadn't clicked and the noise stopped. I'd like to troubleshoot it but I can't find a service manual or even an owners manual online. Looking at similar models it looks like Sanyo included a schematic with the owners manual. I was hoping to find that at least to get me started. Does anyone have one?

Tom

Your finger pressure probably lifted the heads away from the tape and the humming stopped.

Can't find a manual anywhere so I would do the usual and blast out every pot, switch and knob with deoxit to start with. You probably have one or more dried out fliter capacitors somewhere in the circuit which are not filtering off all the DC.

If it's not working well, I would seriously considering looking elsewhere rather than put a lot of effort into that model. You could do a LOT better.

When I pressed down there is still music playing so the heads are still engaged. Looking through hifi engine they have the owners manual for a Sanyo RD 5150 which physically looks similar except its black and the tape and bias select switches are different. I might try to use this schematic just to get an idea what the stop switch is doing. It looks like it has three different parts to it. But thanks for the input about how much time to put into it, that's what I needed to know. I'll take a crack at it but won't put too much time into it.

Back
Top Bottom