Need Help With a Scott 208!

We're not judgemental:idea::rolleyes::yikes:.
Well maybe we are!
I can't say you wouldn't have been (more?) pleased with the scott. If you're happy with the 9090 that's all that matters. Enjoy!

Trust me it wasn't a decision taken lightly. I think the 355 is one of the most beautiful pieces of audio equipment ever:(. But while it could drive my speakers (Hales Concept Two) it was obvious that they came alive with more power. My goal is to have a tube system for the winter and ss for the summer. But when this beautiful restored 9090 came along it seemed like a good trade. I still love the Scott equipment and plan to keep my eyes open for a 299 or LK-72 for a bedroom system (and maybe a LK-150 someday). Thanks again!

We're not judgemental:idea::rolleyes::yikes:.
Well maybe we are!
I can't say you wouldn't have been (more?) pleased with the scott. If you're happy with the 9090 that's all that matters. Enjoy!
Sorry I meant to reply to you in the above post. The ST-70 and the Scotts were my first foray into tubes but certainly won't be my last. I love my speakers and want to get a higher wpc tube amp someday to drive them properly. But I'm pretty sure a LK-72 or 299 will be in my not-so-distant future for a second system and the advice given here will still be wholly relevant. Trust me I haven't given up on tubes!

Sorry I meant to reply to you in the above post. The ST-70 and the Scotts were my first foray into tubes but certainly won't be my last. I love my speakers and want to get a higher wpc tube amp someday to drive them properly. But I'm pretty sure a LK-72 or 299 will be in my not-so-distant future for a second system and the advice given here will still be wholly relevant. Trust me I haven't given up on tubes!

It's your decision we respect and don't want to interfere with, but still... The Scott 355/208 combo is a beautiful set and MUCH rarer than à 299 (or LK72), actually amongst the rarest and most sought-after/collectible tube gear Scott produced during their Golden Era. I understand you're not a (Scott) collector but as you're on a tube audio forum don't be surprised if some members express some astonishment about your decision to trade it for a solid-state receiver. I would never had them let go, but it's me...

It's your decision we respect and don't want to interfere with, but still... The Scott 355/208 combo is a beautiful set and MUCH rarer than à 299 (or LK72), actually amongst the rarest and most sought-after/collectible tube gear Scott produced during their Golden Era. I understand you're not a (Scott) collector but as you're on a tube audio forum don't be surprised if some members express some astonishment about your decision to trade it for a solid-state receiver. I would never had them let go, but it's me...
Trust me I get it and I expected the people here to feel that way. My audio journey started early in life, I've always had a stereo, but limited myself to what I could find at yard sales. My first real expenditure was a Dynaco ST-70 which I ran with the preamp section of my Marantz 2252. Then while looking for a preamp for the Dynaco I stumbled upon the Scott equipment. Well, funny enough I thought I had lost a tweeter in my Dahlquists because of the weak signal/treble in the left channel from the 355 which is how I ended up with my Hales. The Dynaco got traded for a 9090db and as much as I love the tube sound it was obvious that the Hales came alive with the extra power. Well during a financial crisis last month I had to sell the 9090db and severely regretted it. When I saw this one I certainly wasn't able to buy it and knew that trading the Scotts was the only way I could get it. I also knew that I would never be able to pay a tech to do the extensive refurb job that had been done even if I somehow acquired another 9090. What it came down to was the Hales are by far the best speakers I've ever owned and the Scott equipment wasn't the best match. So either I sold the Hales and got more efficient speakers, or I gave them the amplification they deserved. It wasn't an easy decision but at the end of the day tubes run too hot for me to use in the summer anyway so if I can only afford one quality amplification source at the moment then it's going to be ss. You're right, I'm not a collector, sound quality and aesthetics are my primary concern, and the Scotts had both in spades. But I'm also not particularly well-off and I only have what I have because of years searching out deals, horse-trading upward in value, etc. The Scott gear is in good hands, this tech knows his stuff, even though his primary focus is ss. I expect him to give them both a complete refurb and treat them with the respect they deserve. Who know, when he's done maybe I'll try to work out another deal with him:). Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you some insight into my (addled) thinking.

One other thing, I'm not a purist when it comes to tubes vs ss. Going from ss to tubes and back to ss has given me better insight into the strengths/weaknesses of both. Where the Scott combo shined with my speakers I could only call 'liquid holography'. Where the 9090db shines is power (obviously), clarity, detail, and bass. Long-term I want to have both in my life.

Just texted the tech and asked him to give me first dibs on the Scotts when they are ready to go:). Whether I'll be able to swing it...

The tech agreed. He's replaced the coupling caps and said that has greatly improved the sound and that he suspects thats why the red-plate occured. The main filter caps had already been replaced.

Now I understand your decision was the result of good practical common sense, especially if you have limited funds to invest in this hobby. (which is mainly about listening to music, not collecting gear) Also, my comments above must be taken with a grain of salt as (you've probably guessed it) I'm actually an avid Scott collector.
No regrets, after all you got your 9090DB back and who knows what the future may bring to you. (hopefully some more Scott tube gear !)

The 355 is considerably more difficult to replace than the 208, so if you can only keep one...
Well I don't know that he would be willing to break up the set. While I'm sure there may be some bias here what are people's opinions about the 355 vs a later tube pre (CJ pv or more modern) in terms of sound quality alone?

Just one more thing, and it was mentioned with what I suspect is a typo early on( "The grid resistors should be checked and replaced if they are above 220 ohms.") The value I suspect should have been 220kOhm. The grid resistors( one end to the grid, the other end to bias negative voltage) need to be reduced from the original values. The new 7591's just can't tolerate that much resistance. Check with Jim McShane for the value it now needs to be.
cheers,
Douglas

Well I don't know that he would be willing to break up the set. While I'm sure there may be some bias here what are people's opinions about the 355 vs a later tube pre (CJ pv or more modern) in terms of sound quality alone?
Not saying you'd need to break them up but you *could* use the 355 with any power amp, tube or solid state, modern or vintage.

Properly serviced it will be different than more modern preamps that are heavily regulated, so preference will be a significant factor, but it should be excellent.

Now I understand your decision was the result of good practical common sense, especially if you have limited funds to invest in this hobby. (which is mainly about listening to music, not collecting gear) Also, my comments above must be taken with a grain of salt as (you've probably guessed it) I'm actually an avid Scott collector.
No regrets, after all you got your 9090DB back and who knows what the future may bring to you. (hopefully some more Scott tube gear !)
So of course now that it's set in I feel the same way about the Scotts as I did about the 9090db:(. Gonna do what I can to get them back:). Maybe I'll luck into a great audio deal that I don't need and he'll trade again!

Curious as to your thoughts about the preamp section of a 299 or LK-72 vs the 355. Obviously the 355 is a lot prettier but gorgeous Scott tuners can be had for little money and they are very pretty too.

Since you made this decision based on the speakers that you have and would now like to get them back I would suggest keeping an eye out for a killer deal on some Klipsch or Altec horn speakers. If you get the Scott gear back, there is nothing like tubes on horns and the combo goes quite loud.
I hope that tech takes care of you. Of course if he plays them on some efficient speakers he might find them to be keepers for him self.
I wish you the best.

BillWojo

Since you made this decision based on the speakers that you have and would now like to get them back I would suggest keeping an eye out for a killer deal on some Klipsch or Altec horn speakers. If you get the Scott gear back, there is nothing like tubes on horns and the combo goes quite loud.
I hope that tech takes care of you. Of course if he plays them on some efficient speakers he might find them to be keepers for him self.
I wish you the best.

BillWojo
Yes I would like to hear the tube/horn combo. I had some kg4s mated with a Marantz 2252 for my main system for years and I felt that 50% of recodings sounded fantastic, 25% good, and 25% unlistenable. I may or may not be able to get them back but time will tell. He's more of a ss guy but maybe the Scotts will turn him. They did sound great with the Hales but more efficient speakers would definitely be a better match. Ah to not have to choose...

Also because of my limited funds to invest it's hard for me to resist a monetarily upward trade. The Scotts sat for weeks on cl for before I took the plunge for perhaps half what the rebuilt Sansui would go for on that auction site. Not that I'm planning on selling but I always have wanted to try some CJ gear...

I've never heard a tube pre/ss amp combo before though it's something I've always been curious about. Would definitely like to run an all tube system in the winter. Just wish 100+wpc tube systems were a wee bit cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom