Need help with a Sony TC-352D Reel Deck

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Technics101, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Technics101

Technics101 New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm new to the forum and I have a Sony TC-352D that I have replaced the run/stop capacitor. My problem seems to be that the pulleys on the motor does not want to contact the take up reel pulley. I have no idea what the orientation of these two pulleys should be as pictures and videos of this model are very scarce. I've included three pictures in rewind, stop and play respectively. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would certainly appreciate it. I forgot to mention the motor works fine. Rewind works perfect, when in play the capstan roller works also. The belts are in great condition also. Thanks for looking!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. audiojones

audiojones Jonesin' for audio Subscriber

Go to HiFiengine and use the service manual for the TC-252, it uses the same mechanism. Chances are you have dried up grease preventing the idler from pivoting freely, that's a common problem with these mechanisms.

You have to register at Hifiengine buts it's free, they won't spam you and they're a great resource!

image.png

Attached Files:

3. Technics101

Technics101 New Member

Thanks audiojones! As far as degreasing, what's the best and safest cleaner, and best replacement grease?

4. audiojones

Some folks swear by Ronsonol lighter fluid but if you don't have that handy rubbing alcohol should break it up. WD40 is also good for degreasing but you have to be very careful not to get it on the rubber drive wheels and don't rely on it for lubrication. When everything is decreased and moving properly use white lithium grease to lube anything that uses grease and sewing machine oil or turbine oil for anything that requires oil. The motor has oil tubes that should be oiled up too, check out the service manual it's all in there.

5. Technics101

Technics101 New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg I got it adjusted and did some cleaning and degreasing (I still got a lot more to go) and I got it running right. The only problem I have now is after playing it goes right back out of adjustment. The 2 pictures show where I'm talking about. There are no screws to tighten its just press fit. The second picture the screwdriver is pointing to the pivot point when adjusted properly. The first picture is pointing to the gap after playing and the idler going back out of adjustment. Are the parts just worn out or is there anything else I could try?

6. audiojones

Sounds like the take up idler pivot arm still isn't moving freely enough. The take up idler drive wheel has to be removed and you've really got to get in to the linkage pivot points to properly clean and lubricate them. Sony often uses two piece articulating pivot arms in these machines so there may be another section to the pivot arm that you can't see hiding under the idler wheel (they often did this for the capstan drive idler, don't know about the take up idler). Definitely don't fool with any adjustments until the mechanism is 100% free. It's a pretty simple mechanism, I can't think of anything else that would hold back the take up idler other than dried up grease but maybe someone else knows more about this model.

Please register to disable this ad.