Need help with AKAI GXC-730D Cassette Deck

data_lore

I'll begin by saying that I'm a total newbie to cassette decks and vintage audio equipment.

I found an old AKAI cassette deck that i'm having some problems with. First off I want to mention that the belts look pretty old and my assumption was that they need replacing so I went ahead and bought a new set which should arrive sometime next week at which point i'll install the new belts and of course post an update.

However, I do have other problems with this deck. The RECORD switch will not move and I cant seem to get it to budge. I've looked all around the inside to see if I can prod at anything to get it to move but I can't seem to get it unstuck. I haven't disassembled it any further than removing the wood paneling cover and the two metal faceplates that belong on the front of the cassette deck, mainly because I don't want to f*ck anything up, but if I absolutely need to then i'm prepared to do so. Here's a video of the problem-

The other problem it has is that with a cassette in the deck i'll hit play and the tape will move but it will just switch to reverse play on it's own and then shut off on it's own. I have no clue what's causing this but I think that it has something to do with the RECORD switch being stuck or it might be the old belts. Here's a video of this problem (if you'll notice in the video, the meters are not moving. Is this because i don't have speakers hooked up or is there another problem here?) -

I have a third issue which I think is due entirely to the age of the belts where the forward and rewind will work normally when the switch is actuated but it will quickly begin to drag and soon come to stop and then the switch flips up on it's own as if the cassette were finished being rewinded or forwarded. I haven't made a video of this yet but I will put one up tomorrow.

Any advice from someone with lots of experience is greatly appreciated!! I already have downloaded a service manual which i'm reading cover to cover hoping to find the problem so please don't just link a service manual download, I am seeking advice. :)

1. Push play&rec keys at the same time.
2. Replace counter belt..

starbender, I tried pressing both play and rec at the same time. didn't work. The record switch is still stuck and wont budge at all when i try pressing it down simultaneously with any other switches. any other ideas?

Last edited:
Record button stuck-are the record tabs broken out on your test cassette? If they are, then put a piece of tape over the holes at the top edge of the cassette. Try again then.....

Your deck may, like many others, rely on a pulse to an optical sensor to tell the logic that tape is moving. It is often driven off the counter drive, and when the belt is bad-no signal, therefore deck thinks tape is either not moving (end of side 1 or 2, or is spilling, because the take up reel is not spinning). Replace belt-even a rubber band will do the trick for testing/trouble shooting.

Slowing and stopping of wind usually caused by worn/hardened idler wheels. These should be replaced, along with belts. Finding correct replacements, and the tight spaces to work in, are your greatest challenge there.

730d does not have sensors or switches for rec tabs. You can push rec key without cassette.

Remove case and check inside. There should be a slider switches on the preamp pcb. Clean both with contact cleaner. Also check switch next to preamp pcb. Check mechanics.

Tape stops because of counter belt. Replace it then it should work fine.

OKay so i opened it all back up and the tape is definitely stopping because of the old belts. I've got those coming in soon so i'll have more updates as soon as they get installed.

I haven't been able to troubleshoot the rec button but if I manage to get it unstuck ill be sure to post about it.

I connected the deck to my receiver and got sound! it was pretty low sound to be honest and the left side did not emit any sound at all. I'm not sure if it's just a wire problem but i'll try some other speaker wire to make sure and post a video on it.

Here's a video of the inside, think I need to clean it up or is it fine? Also, there seems to be a ticking noise. Maybe it will disappear when the new belts are in. The needle on the left meter does not move at all, but the one on the right does move. Does this indicate that there is, in fact, no sound being produced from the left?

Thanks for all your help so far!

I have installed all the new belts on this cassette deck and no longer have any issues with the cassette stopping at random times when playing either in forward or reverse. However, now I have an issue with the sound and the speed of the cassette. In the video you will hear that the cassette is playing at a slower speed than it should be playing at. Then when playing in forward, the sound can only be heard through the right speakers but plays extremely low on the left speakers, and when I play the cassette in reverse, the sound can only be heard through the left speakers but plays extremely low through the right speakers.

A9F1216A-E82A-4D06-B6D4-F39FC3DFFFFE.jpeg 3C2078D5-FF1D-4BEC-9EB8-FF6B1093F686.jpeg A9F1216A-E82A-4D06-B6D4-F39FC3DFFFFE.jpeg I 2nd that question. What became of it aye? Man, just getting to the counter belt looks gnarly! Don’t know if I have the patience to start peeling this onion. Oh, by the way, the record button slider is accessible from the bottom. Take off bottom plate and you’ll see 5 sliding points. Mine was all gunked up with thick grey grease. I Q-tipped and alcohol all that out and oiled it. Slides smooth now.
But seriously, how do you get at that counter belt without taking apart 50 things. There’s gotta be a short cut.

View attachment 1273192 View attachment 1273194 View attachment 1273192 I 2nd that question. What became of it aye? Man, just getting to the counter belt looks gnarly! Don’t know if I have the patience to start peeling this onion. Oh, by the way, the record button slider is accessible from the bottom. Take off bottom plate and you’ll see 5 sliding points. Mine was all gunked up with thick grey grease. I Q-tipped and alcohol all that out and oiled it. Slides smooth now.
But seriously, how do you get at that counter belt without taking apart 50 things. There’s gotta be a short cut.
Did you ever find a short cut? My goodness.

Main reason why I ended selling mine, too complicated and didn’t want to go too far down the rabbit hole of disassembly. It would be interesting if someone figures out the easiest way to access those tough to reach belts.

I worked on this particular model for months, for refurbish,recap,rebelt,relube and change input transistors with low noise equvalents etc.
But I couldn't remember how I reached counter belt. But it was not too hard.. I still use my 730d. And I prefer its sound over the Nac CR-4.

Back
Top Bottom