Need help with connecting Pioneer RG-2 and SG-9800

r2dtwo

I recently acquired several Pioneer components and don't know how to get then all hooked up. I have an SA-8800 amp a RA-2 Dynamic range processor and a SG-9800 equalizer. I want to avoid using the Power amp in/out but hook it up so I can hear them both through the tape monitor. Can anyone inform me how to do this?

Thanks r2dtwo

Connect the RG-2 (I'm sure that's what you meant instead of RA-2) processor inputs to the tape rec jacks of the SA-8800 and the outputs to the tape play. Connect the EQ in and out jacks the same way to the RG-2 tape rec and play. If you have a cassette deck you would connect it the same way to the tape jacks then on the EQ. You of course then need to select the tape monitoring on the SA-8800 to engage the RG-2 and tape monitoring on the RG-2 to engage the SG-9800 and lastly tape monitoring on the EQ for any cassette deck hooked to it.

The above hook-up chain goes amp, processor, EQ then tape deck if applicable. I should also mention that you could put the EQ first in the chain. The connections are the same except the EQ is hooked to the amp first then the processor and then deck. This is actually the way I'd hook the chain up myself.

Thanks for the instructions

I will give this a try tonight, thanks so much. And yes I meant an RG-2

I have an RG-1 and run the EQ first. However, I was wondering if I should reverse this....does the EQ affect what is dynamically enhanced if it comes from the EQ??

Thanks OverLord

Just connected both the RG-2 and the EQ. like you instructed, works great. I had tried several different ways to hook these up and never suceeded till now. I'm just a dumb old engineer so no wonder I couldn't figure it out. Just wondering why you suggested going to the Equalizer first? I went th the RG-2 first. Sounds good. I don't have a working cassette deck yet, got a CT-F1250 but it needs belts, next project.

I a long time ago use to run a dbx-5bx dynamic range expander and various different EQ's over time but no longer do. However, when I did, that's just the order in which makes the most sense to have the signal "manipulation" done.

I daisy-chained my RG-1 and EQ. Amp out to EQ in, EQ out to RG in, RG out to amp in. There are two decks on the EQ's tape monitors. Running the EQ first means you're not taping a processed signal from the RG.

So for overall listening, it would be best to run to the processor into the EQ ? I really only use the processor for records and tuner. CDs I usually leave it off, but sometimes may use EQ. My question was concerning if EQ in to the Dynamic Expander would have an affect on the expansion. I may switch it over tonight to see if there is a difference. These are on a tape monitor out. If I dont want them, I switch the monitor off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom