Need Help with Infinity SS 2003s

Derek1320

Hi All,
I've got a pair of Infinity SS 2003s that I purchased new in 1996. A few years back they were mistreated by another individual and now the bottom end and midrange is either very flubby, or fuzzy, and full of static. I'm assuming that the woofers were damaged, as the top-end seems to be fine.

Could a simple refoaming take care of this? Any suggestions? I know that Infinity sells the whole driver for $65 ea from their website, but I'd like to see if I can avoid taking that path.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Hi Derek
Speakers at that age the surrounds are probably getting tired. A simple refoam might do the trick. But first try pulling the woofers out and rotate them 180 degrees and see if they improve. If they do then the surrounds more than likely have sagged and your voice coils are rubbing.

Another thing you can do is with the speakers off, carefully push the woofer in and out, if you feel and or hear them rub, the surrounds are the culprit. Refoam and them and you should be set.

Regards
Army

IMO, if the surrounds are intact, look elsewhere. If you push in and hear a crunch sound, the the voice coil is split, and replacement is the only route. Surrounds take about 11 years rto rot.

Back
Top Bottom