Need help with marantz 2226

crazyman1234

Hello,
This is my first thread and I thought u guys might be able to help me out. My father bought a marantz 2226 brand new and we have had it ever since. I got it and love it. There is a big problem though. There is a sputtering and popping when I turn the volume down. With volume up, sound goes in and out. I have already deoxited the volume and the selector switches. I think it might be a problem with the (what I think is) amplifier. I do not know where the amp is or what could be wrong. How fixable is it or is it the end of this magical radio/amp?

any info from anyone would help, please, I really like this system and I want to play my vinyls. I also had a second thought, Could it be my balance? Could it be distorting things as well?

These problems are not the end of your Marantz, not by a long shot.

I'd clean the balance control also. Can't hurt in any case. Another common problem with many vintage receivers: Have you sprayed cleaner into the tape monitor switch? I got my 2226 off the auction for a great price because the owner said one channel was out. As is often the case with this symptom, it was a dirty tape monitor switch. After cleaning, it was fine. Just a thought.

I am sure others more experienced than I will chime in soon, sometimes it takes a little while. BTW, welcome to AK. I know once you get past these issues, you will enjoy the 2226.

i cleaned the four left switches a couple of times and the right buttons once and the noise is practically gone. I hear it when turned up louder than I turn it up to. Good suggestion.

Try cleaning all switches, especially the Speaker Selector and Tape Monitor. If cleaning the switches doesn't cure the problem, cleaning the relay is next.
BTW. Anything can be repaired.:yes:

Ron

I would really like some advice or pictures on where to clean these switches. The only place I can tell is to put it between the board and the part of the switch that the board is connected to. Also where is the relay, I can't say I know where that is.

I've had good luck drilling a small (#50) hole in the rear top of the pushbutton switches used for tape monitor, loudness etc. on older units. This allows you to spray de-oxit into the contact area inside the switch. Just used a pin vise and be careful.

Tom

Attachments

• switch3.jpg
    switch3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I would think you could get deoxit in the holes that already there without drilling any. Before I'd consider the relay I would put interconnects between the pre out and main in jacks if there aren't any. RCA cables will do.

I like the hole-drilling idea alot, but if you are going to that level of effort, you can also pull the switch core. This can be tricky and calls for A GREAT DEAL OF CARE, as there are TINY PARTS (springs/contact "plates") that can EASILY be lost. Remove the C-clip from around the front of the switch and the silver "catch" (the thing that gives the switch its two-position capability, whatever it's called) from the top of the switch and the core will slide out. Certainly not difficult, but not for the faint of heart (or poor close up vision!) either. If you like tiny, detail work, this is a job for you!

I fixed the scratchy sound on my 2226 a few weeks ago by using de-oxit on the all the buttons. I did this by taking off the bottom and spraying inside the plastic things (what are they called anyway??) behind the push buttons.

Pat

I tried ptgraphics solution to no avail so I thought before I start taking stuff off (and probably making it worse) I should clean the one part that I hadn't cleaned yet because we had cleaned it before, the volume control. I had cleaned every pot and button on this radio except that one part. SO I clean it and get it back on its stand hook up two speakers and turn it on. Well I still hear a popping and a slight buzz ( not the normal buzz on phono). Well twenty seconds later the buzz got a little louder and then it stopped. Silence. I thought "oh great I killed it." Well I turn the fm tuner on to see and it still works. It was the volume control the whole time. There are two areas to clean and I think that we only cleaned one of them before. Thank you for all the suggestions though, if I ever hear it again I will know where to look to find out whats wrong.

My recently acquired 2226 fires up strong. One problem, while it pulls in plenty of FM stations strong, and the signal strength meter functions properly, the tuning center meter doesn't flinch from dead center. I've not yet tested the meter itself (which I'll do) but anything else I should check if the meter is good? Need to re-bulb the 2 outer dial lights... but that looks easy compared to my Nak 730's:tears:

John L.

Back
Top Bottom