Need help with my first refoam: 4 obscure pre-Bose Interaudio 4000

jrob

I picked up two pairs of Interaudio IA 4000 speakers (these are NOT Bose Interaudio 4000, although the back label does say they were tested at Bose labs) at a thrift store a while back and the two that had intact woofers sound surprisingly good. Not as good as my KLH Fives or Sansui As-200s, but fine for a vintage home theater quad, 4.1 or 5.1 setup.

I've never done a refoam before, and i need help picking out a kit to use for these. I've found ones for Bose Interaudio 4000s but those are totally different speakers as far as i can tell. As you can tell in the attached photos, the foam diameter is about 8 1/4' inside and 10' outside.

Finally, i'd prefer to buy from Parts Express. Would this work?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-958

Or do you have a better or cheaper alternative?

Attachments

• 015small.jpg
    015small.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 016small.jpg
    016small.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 014small.jpg
    014small.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 38
Sometimes the measurements provided by foam surround suppliers can be confusing. Each supplier seems to use different terminology to classify the size. Some use inches, some use mm. So it takes some effort to find just the right ones. My experience anyway.

I have attached a modified picture of your speakers. Take these measurements in both inches and mm. I think the most important measurement is the “Cone Diameter” or “Surround Inner Roll Diameter”. The Surround Outer Diameter is the next most important. However the foams edge can be slightly trimmed to match the speaker.

Then match these measurements to Parts Express surrounds. Or email the measurement to Parts Express Sales. They will reply with a part number that will work. Or you can post the measurements here and I am sure someone will help.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 016small.jpg
    016small.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 10_4b.jpg
    10_4b.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 12
Hello,

Forgive me for reviving such an old thread, but I also have these obscure speakers and need to refoam them. What did you end up using and how was your experience with them?
For what it's worth, they sound pretty damn good!

Thanks!

They are great sounding speakers, but I never got around to refoaming them. I still have them put away where they were when I found out that I needed to take more measurements before I could pick out a kit. Other things came up and despite dennismillers great instructions, I never got around to taking them back out to make the additional measurements. As a matter of fact, I have yet to refoam a single speaker, as these are the only ones I have come across that have needed it!

Back
Top Bottom