Need help with Nakamichi BX-1 Diagnosis

so_ein_pech

Finally I got a Nak! It's broken of course...

I'm a relative newbie to tape decks so I don't have all of the terminology down.

Symptoms:
Play button: makes a whirring sound for a second as the idler attempts to engage the reel. The flywheel spins briefly. The head assembly does not engage. The brake assembly does not disengage. The cam does not turn.

FF/RW buttons: Nothing happens. Not even a clicking sound. Buttons don't light up when pressed.

Belts seem a bit loose and the idler tire needs to be replaced undoubtedly. I am concerned that the control motor that drives the cam is bad, but I have also read that the FF should still work even if it is.

Would new belts/tire will magically make everything work, or should I look for a replacement control motor? Or are there deeper issues potentially?

I have a multimeter and a working knowledge of electrical circuits so I can take measurements that would help with the diagnostics.

Hi. Sankyo transport so immediately you have potential reel and cam motor problems. They are all suspect and if they both work thats pretty rare.

Try to get the reel motor going by moving the shaft to a different position. If you can get that working leave it ff for a few hours to scrub itself clean. Cam motor you can get moving too but cleaning it requires removing it have giving it 9v via battery or anything and let that go for a few hours. Thats assuming it is the motors.

Back
Top Bottom