Need help with Philips CD Recorder

Macdude

Hi /on/ Fidelity
So I've got a Philips CDR-760 recorder and I've been very happy with it. I've been using Maxell CD-R Music Pro (Made in Japan) in it forever. Here's where it gets ugly... I walk into the local store to pick up another pack for a recording session and bam, they are no more. I can't find those discs anywhere. They were 32x, 80 Minutes and 700Mb. Plus, they had real cases, not these slim-line things which crack and fall apart. I hesitated but eventually bought the standard Maxell CD-R Music discs (Made in Taiwan), also 32x, 80 Minutes and 700Mb and the recorder won't read them. It says "Optical Failure". Does anyone know what discs I can use in this machine, or where I can find the Maxell Music PRO discs still? I've tried Memorex to no avail, they're 40x.

This is really stupid to be quite honest. I don't want to use the computer for what I'm doing, so that's not an option. Plus I don't have money for a new cd recorder, so hopefully I'm not stuck. Thanks in advance!

I guess you could try online to find some disc that work with your "finicky" Philips.I have 2 audio-only CD recorders,both dual trays,ones an RCA,the other a Teac.They look the same cosmetically,and have never had a problem reading any audio disc I buy,whether it be Maxell or Fuji.I did have a problem with the RCA,had to take the recording side disc drive apart,just to clean the CD lens,it wouldn't read the disc.Haven't had to clean the Teac yet,it's a real pain to tear it all down,the bozo's cover up the eye so you can't just pop the cover and swab it down!!You may try cleaning your CD lens and see if that helps.I use the Maxell's the most in my decks,they usually go for $10 for a no cd jewel case's 30 pack,they haven't let me down yet. Rob

Have you tried out Verbatim/Mitsubishi Super Azo, works very nice with my Yamaha CRW-F1 in audio master mode.

Same issue lately with my CD-R 775. Some of the discs on the shelf are labelled with the "Music" logo (for consumer burners), but won't work. Go back and get your money back.

The ones I've found lately that do work in that unit are Sony CD-R Audio. Sorry I can't be clearer than that, I've tosed the packaging.

Don't expect the help in the stores to understand the consumer burner "Audio" badging, either...

je

Thanks for the help guys. I do see Sony Music CD-R's everywhere but I haven't picked them up because they don't list a speed. Perhaps I have nothing to lose by trying them. It upsets me that they stopped producing the Music Pro's, as my entire stack of cds consists of them. I'm about ready to just sell the deck cheap and stick to vinyl entirely. The only reason I have tis deck is to make backups and compilations for other people without turntables. I'll pick up the Sonys and give them a try for now. I can't find Verbatim in any stores and if they don't work I need to be able to return them.

Same issue lately with my CD-R 775. Some of the discs on the shelf are labelled with the "Music" logo (for consumer burners), but won't work. Go back and get your money back.

The ones I've found lately that do work in that unit are Sony CD-R Audio. Sorry I can't be clearer than that, I've tosed the packaging.

Don't expect the help in the stores to understand the consumer burner "Audio" badging, either...

je

I have the CD-R-765 and have the same issues. Only Sony's will work in mine, also.

I've got the Philips 765 and the Sony CDRs work, the new ones you can find at Target or Best Buy.

Most of the other brands you get the NO OPC error - the standard error that the machine does not recognize the CD, unless you have some very old CDRs at very slow speeds.

So I don't think it's because the new Sony CDRs are under 30x speed, they just work in these older CDR recorders even in higher speed versions.

Cheers, Snade

I called Maxell for the heck of it. They said they were surprised that the standard music version doesn't work. He said the only real difference between the Pro and normal versions are that the thickness of one of the layers is larger, and that from what he's heard, they're basically the same formulation. He also said that Sams Club sells Maxell CD-R "Max" or something like that, and that they are all-purpose low speed CD-R's (24x?) that are music compatible, although the packaging doesn't state this. Maybe I'll try some of those if Sams still has them. The CD-R Music Pro has been out of production for 6 months though and Wal-Mart was the biggest seller of them, so he said to check Wal-Marts for leftover stock.. ughh.

Here's an explanation of the "Audio" type CD-R that this machine is looking for. Apparently some Circuit City employees AND some Maxell employees are not aware of them:

Recordable Audio CD

The Recordable Audio CD is designed to be used in a consumer audio CD recorder, which won't (without modification) accept standard CD-R discs. These consumer audio CD recorders use SCMS (Serial Copy Management System), an early form of digital rights management (DRM), to conform to the AHRA (Audio Home Recording Act). The Recordable Audio CD is typically somewhat more expensive than CD-R due to (a) lower volume and (b) a 3% AHRA royalty used to compensate the music industry for the making of a copy.

Here's an explanation of the "Audio" type CD-R that this machine is looking for. Apparently some Circuit City employees AND some Maxell employees are not aware of them:

Excellent info, however even with other brands labelled CD-R Music (such as TDK, etc.) my CD recorder will not read them for recording. Only the Sony's seem to work. :scratch2:

I've used TDK CD-RXA80 audio CD-Rs in various Philips standalone audio recorders without problems. The most obvious differences between these and regular CD-Rs for PC drives (which are often stocked next to them) is that they are only 4x, they are sold as singles or ten packs in jewel cases rather than on a spindle and they are quite a bit more expensive (AU$1.40 for a single last time I bought them).

A picture of the packaging can be found here:

http://www.tdk.com.au/show_product.asp?catID=1&subID=7&productID=88223

Excellent info, however even with other brands labelled CD-R Music (such as TDK, etc.) my CD recorder will not read them for recording. Only the Sony's seem to work. :scratch2:

Agreed, lately. In the past I've used just about every brand there was, and they had all worked fine.

By the way, these Sony discs were only a little bit more $$ than regular CD-Rs at Circuit City, and came in a 50 spindle.

je

I bought a pack of the Sony Music CD-R's today and they seem to work fine. Are there any firmware updates available for the CDR-760?

Back
Top Bottom