Need help with reisistor selection for Yamaha MX-1 restore

theokalat

I am in the process of recapping Yamaha MX-1, seen lots of carbon film FP(Flame Proof) resistors on the two amp pcb boards.

Some I have seen that are cracked,discoloured and burnt, means they are gone, so I plan on replacing all of the carbon film FP while I am at it.

Just wondering, can I replace the carbon film FP with better types, eg metal oxide or metal film which are also rated as flame proof, or am I compromising safety and/or durability here, or risking blowing something up, or is it ok and be better for it as they are supposed to be higher quality resistors with better tolerance.

Anyone with experience on having done this swap please advise if it is a good idea or not.

I don't want to wreck this wonderful amp, it sounds phenomenal when working.

Last edited:
No one seems to have an opinion!

Well I might just go ahead and swap these carbin resistors with better quality metal or MOX flame proof types.

I will let all know whether they will work ok, or cause any problems.

You have to be a little more patient....:D

People live in different time zones, so it might take them a little to respond, but they will; the more knowledgeable guys around here are quite generous with info....It is also better to wait for the opinion of the experts around here rather than risk making costly mistakes.....

I usually replace carbon film with new carbon film just so it'll look original, but if you want to use metal film there's no reason why you can't.

I usually replace carbon film with new carbon film just so it'll look original, but if you want to use metal film there's no reason why you can't.

Thanks Echowars.

Looks like in the MX-1, every single carbon resistor is rated as flame proof, but none of the metal films or MOX resistors are rated as flame proof.

Back
Top Bottom