Need help with restringing a Sony ST-5000W Tuner

mmuniz1

Hi,

I bought a Sony ST-5000W Tuner at a flea market not knowing whether it worked or not. None of the lights worked and it didn't have any dial string so the tuner knob didn't do anything.

After some testing, it seems to work fine. I replaced all of the lamps but now I want to restring the tuning mechanism. Does anyone have a manual for this? I keep bidding on these on Ebay but always seem to get outbid.

I've provisionally restrung it but I can't figure out how to attach the string to the drive pulley. There are no screws or hooks to use for attaching the cable. There is only a wheel with a notch. Does anyoe have any ideas. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Mario

A very fortunate find!

I have the FW version. I'm not certain how closely the tuner stringing would match but will try to open it up later tonight to see if it will provide any clue.

Here are a couple of photos. Sorry, the camera is not great, but you should at least be able to determine if it is the same arrangement. I've pulled the tuner out of the stack and will wait for your response.

Making some progress - Some follow-up questions

Hi,

It's not the same arrangement but it looks very similar. How many times is the string wound around the tuning knob shaft? And, is the string attached to the white drive pulley? If so, can you tell how? Or is it held in by tension alone? This is my biggest problem.

Thanks for the assistance!

Mario

Two wraps on the tuning knob shaft.

Coming from the tuning knob to the white pulley there are two wraps on the pulley and the string then disappears into the notch in the pulley where it appears to be tied off to a pin. Coming from the other direction there is one wrap around the white pulley and again the string enters the notch and is also tied off to the pin. The pin is about halfway between the outside of the pulley and the shaft and is axial to the pulley. The dial was set at about 104 to put the notch at the top. The number of wraps reverses when it is at the other end of the scale.

Does anyone have any ideas how to attach the dial string to the pulley?

:scratch2: Your information is very helpful. It looks like my white pulley is missing the pin. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a workaround for attaching the string to the pulley keeping in mind there is very little space for me to work??

Thanks! Mario

:D The labels on each shielded section are what do it for me.

If there was no obvious better way and assuming there is sufficent clearance for it when the pulley rotates, I'd consider drilling a small hole in the perimeter surface of the pulley and installing a small screw or fine threaded bolt as an anchor point.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it after you've given it a trial.

Great Idea, I think I'll try it!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to try your idea...let's see how it goes.

I also bought a vintage Sony 1120a Amplifier which has the same styling. To my surprise, this also works. I just replaced the one power indicator lamp. I can't wait to get the set working together without the covers off!!! I'm usually a Sansui or Marantz guy but I just like the styling on these.

Mario

Mario,
Darn you!! I've been looking for that combo for some time after getting the 6060. Rather than bothering to get stressed redoing the string, why not package both pieces up and send them to me and you'll not have to pay a shrink.

Congrats and please do a serious review when you get both up and running.

A very fortunate find indeed! I use the 2000F and 3200F separates with my 5000F. I suspect your 1120 and 5000 combination will sound just as good. Good luck with the repair.

Hey Mario, if your unit looks anything the photo absolon posted, the front panel might have to be removed to get into the tuning knob for restringing and the pulleys as well. :banana:

Last edited:
Taking the face off is probably the way to go, but....

Yes, you are right...if I was patient and talented enough to perform this task properly. :no:

I still haven't gotten a chance to try the screw method...I was working on renovating our bathroom all weekend. Maybe this evening I will have some time. If this doesn't work, I may commit myself to taking the face off, it just looks incredibly complicated, unlike my Sansuis. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the input. Mario

absolon - if my wife ever gives in and allows me to put more than a receiver upstairs in our LR I'm going to duplicate your system. Great rig! :thmbsp: Same with mmuniz1's rig. :thmbsp: Have you done a recap on any of your pieces? I was amazed at the improvement with a recap of my CA-2010. Especially the Black Gates in the phono section :yes: , if you are a vinylholic.

The service manual for the ST-5000W(FW) must be pretty rare. My two usual sources do not have it listed. I don't think I would let myself get outbid next time. Have you checked the Tuner Information Center or ask on the FM Tuner Forum? Someone there will have the manual and may be willing to copy for you. I've done so a couple of times for folks and they for me.

Last edited:
Y-B2 - thanks for the info on the manual. I've had good success from the Sony DAP centre in California even if they are occasionally photocopies of the originals. They don't ship to Canada so I'm waiting until my California relay is back in service at the end of October.

Tuner is going for service first and I'll try and pick up another amp before sending this one off. The system is definitely a keeper, shining even with a speaker as revealing as the Lenteks. TT is the last piece and hasn't come together yet but I'm making do with a very pretty Yamaha D4 and alternating AT125LC and Shure V15-III.

I'm itching to post a system pic, but decided to build a new cabinet first. With all the good advice I have received here since the start of this year and the gear I have acquired as a consequence, I've rather outgrown the old one.

I have st5000w and needs a tuning string- Will a Sony str 6046 string do the trick? It seems like the lengths would be close, but maybe not exact?
anyone?

Back
Top Bottom