Need ID on speakers w/ Sherwood 7100A

savv

Just won a Sherwood 7100A receiver which comes with speakers. Can anyone identify them? Did they originally come with the Sherwoods? The seller is unable to open the grills or give any useful info. If the woofers are shot, are they worth restoring?

With the skinny wire coming directly out of the back, they are not much. Any number of companies make cheap speakers like those. Nothing to get excited about. :thumbsdn:

Get some good speakers when you can. :thmbsp:

Ya got a nice little Sherwood there.

I got some of these for friends on a budget in the early 70's and most are still running. I liked to pair them up with AR 4's and managed to get some pretty decent sound from that setup. Not necessarially loud, but nice... very nice.

As for the speakers, they did not come with the unit. They appear to be some off brand, perhaps part of an inexpensive three piece unit of the time.

They aren't anything to write home about. If they work, fine, but I wouldn't invest any time or money in 'em.

The Sherwood S-7100A was my first receiver, purchased in 1972 for $133.00. It was a very nice unit. I bought Dynaco A-25s and an AR turntable with Shure M91E to round out the system. Complete cost was just $330.00. Certainly a lot of bang for the buck in summer of 1972. I bought a Sherwood S-7200 the next summer, after winning $350 on the television game show, "Split Second." Life was so much simpler then. I still have the Sherwood S-7200A, though it is sitting idle. Hope to find a way to utilize it. I also have a Tannoy Mercury M2 sitting idle. This should be a nice match.

Last edited:
When others on this thread say the speakers are nothing to write home about, they are being very polite. Suggest you look for something better. A little homework will yield significant improvement. The Sherwood S-7100A deserves something along the lines of the Dynaco A-25, for starters. Your ears will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom