Need info on Kenwood L-02T

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by r0118, Jan 5, 2018.

1. r0118

r0118 New Member

Hi,
    I resell stuff for a living. I ran across a Kenwood L-02T. I powered it up and all the meters, indicator LEDs lit up. I brought it home and connected the RCA fixed outputs to my test amp and tuned in to a couple of stations (88.7 and 90.1 came in strong. Noticing that the range is from 74-92, I guess it's for receiving pirate radio or tv stations... maybe Japanese FM radio? but you guys would probably know that!

The reason I'm inquiring is that I know nothing about this unit. I'm reading that it's apparently a sought-after tuner, and it's rare to find one outside of Japan. I'd like to know how to get it properly tested, and if it turns out to be good, to offer it up for sale.

Cosmetically, it's in great condition -- hardly any scuffs, but It's missing that 3 inch wide top panel that screws in at the rear -- the piece with the grill. I usually don't bother when I see that someone pulled the case off... but then it IS quite valuable, so I figured that it was worth it to at least check to be sure that it's fully functional. So, if anyone knows the proper steps to get it checked out, it would be a great help. BTW, I live up here in Maine.

I'll put up images of whatever you guys want to see.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

Japanese market example you have. Conversion to the US band might be possible, could be relatively
    easy but probably not. Tune to something between 88 and 92 mhz to see if it works.

3. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

As a reseller, probably best to unload it in the Japanese market.Changing to the US spectrum would be costly if can even be done. I wouldn't want take on that job and know of few that would.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. r0118

r0118 New Member

Actually, I uploaded a Youtube video of it. I hooked up my FM antenna to the "A" antenna connection on the back and I connected the RCA "Fixed" output terminals to my power amp. I was able to receive 88.7 and 90.1 There's a powerful classic rock station at 92.1 that I always get, but it didn't come in. I'm thinking that the tuner only goes up to 92 or 91.9?

Here's a link to some photos:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xMKhDUQWKT7TBQ8Ea3InBX-5Z7tNXj5X

Here's the link to the Youtube video:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. r0118

r0118 New Member

Looks like it's made for Japan radio. The range for Japanese FM is 76-90. That explains it. I guess I'll try ebay Japan! ;)

6. r0118

r0118 New Member

I have a voltage question about the L-02T. This unit is 100V. Will U.S. 110-120v fry anything? I've been plugging it in to test it. I'm not noticing anything. I've had the power on for over an hour at a time and everything seems to be functioning fine.

7. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would not recommend long term over voltage. Travel step transformers to are cheap.