1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Need Loud Ideas!!!!

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by neptuneslair, Mar 12, 2018.

1. neptuneslair

neptuneslair New Member

Okay, we will address the system first. A pair of NIKKO ALPHA II amplifiers with a NIKKO BTL-1 Bridge network running to NIKKO BETA 20. There is also a NIKKO GAMMA tuner and a NIKKO EQ-1 and a TECHNICS SL 1200 Mk3 turntable. With that being said a new pair of speakers are needed! We have been using a Vintage pair of JBL L-150s that just do not do the job. Love the speakers, they are awesome however we are running this system in a drinking establishment that is already noisy and loud. We need LOUD and CLEAR with some low end! Looking for Ideas???? Cerwin Vegas???? Help !!!!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I'd go for old Klipsches over CWs, myself. Forte, Cornwall, Chorus, La Scala or cornerhorns.

KentTeffeteller and neptuneslair like this.
  3. Robisme

Robisme Sansui Enthusiast Subscriber

Peavey gets my vote.

Rob

Poinzy and neptuneslair like this.
  4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Multiple speakers spread out at lower average volume will fill the space better than a pair that screams. Up close it will be too loud, far away it gets drowned out. Keep it mono, probably using 70v distribution lines. Something like a Crown amp and some suitable speakers would do the trick. JBL and others make that kind of gear.

5. neptuneslair

neptuneslair New Member

Am very thankful for all of the responses so far !!!!!!! Many Thanx Guys !!!!!!!! Got to do something!

6. Poinzy

Poinzy Super Member

Like Rob, I'm thinking PA speakers. In a bar, you want something that can take a beating.

darkblue94 likes this.

7. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

In the mono mode that will give you close to 400 watts per channel, if your power supply is strong enough. That some serious power. Klipsch can't handle that RMS power, though they say they can handle peaks that high. I would be looking for Professional JBL, EV, Community Light and Sound, Meyer, Renkus Heinz. Its not going to be cheap, even pre-owned, but it will be loud. Do your Home work. Stay away from brands like CV, Peavey, and Bose. There will be a lot of names you have never heard of before. Stay away! Remember Music stores only have former used car salesman to assist you. My choice would be pre-owned professional JBL 4435.

Remember PA speakers are after all PA speakers. public address voice only, If they have any bass at all its always compromised below 60 HZ or so. Highs above 10,000 aren;t necessary or desired either.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I have a set of JBLs in my garage that would make a kick-ass bar tunes system if you have the room. A pair of SR4732A over pair of SR4719X. Not cheap, but because they are older/old school they're pennies on the dollar compared to the original prices.

neptuneslair likes this.
  9. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Get Pro Gear. That is what it is made for.
    Not PA speakers, you are not addressing the public but professional sound reinforcement speakers. Back in the day a set or two of Electro-Voice PI-15/3 would bring the volume loud and clear. That is a 15" woofer/three-way for Permanent Installation. The S-15/3 was the stage version with metal corners all around and handles built in. Get something good that will last. Home entertainment speakers aren't the right thing for a Drinking Establishment where you want to drown out the drunks.

10. Poinzy

Poinzy Super Member

Enough with the scare tactics. :rolleyes:

The disc jockeys I've known used portable PA systems for their live rigs, and not just for voice. It's "pro gear" in every sense of the word. It doesn't sound like much of a stretch to use that kind of gear in a sound system in a noisy bar. If you look around, you'll find something with decent frequency response that can also take a pounding.

To the OP:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c134--PA_Speakers
    I'm not making any specific recommendations. The above is meant only as a possible source of ideas.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    neptuneslair likes this.
  11. xero-D-hero

xero-D-hero Super Member

Need to know what sorta budget you have for this...

That said I tend to agree some pre-owned "pro" speakers make the most sense.
    But there are some speakers that blur the line between consumer & pro speakers.
    Something like some big ATC would likely do the trick,but they aint what I'd call "budget" speakers at all.
    So recommending those could be a waste of time if the $$$ is'nt there to support the recommendation.

Would also help to know more about the venue size/description as well.

FWIW

Bret P.

neptuneslair likes this.

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Active Member

:beerchug:

qdrone and neptuneslair like this.
  13. bluescat

bluescat Well-Known Member

Bose 901 series V or VI> Let the hate begin!!

neptuneslair likes this.
  14. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Yamaha Club Series are pretty good bang for the buck. A pair of S215 rock pretty good. They don't go subterranean but most pro speakers don't. They'll give a pretty good dose of punch and slam though. That is what I used before going to the JBL SR4732As.

neptuneslair likes this.
  15. doctor fuse

doctor fuse AK Subscriber Subscriber

I used to bi-amp Linn Sara9s with a Nikko Alpha II for the isobaric woofers, and a NAD 3020 for tweeters. Sounded great. And loud.

Alpha got hot with these low impedance drivers, though.

neptuneslair likes this.
  16. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think gadget73 has the best idea. Stereo is a waste in that environment, just use mono and distribute it.

BillWojo

neptuneslair likes this.