Need Modern Chair for Listening Room

I found the poang crinkles my neck. mine was a beech frame with black leather and matching stool. I really like the Barcelona. just need to lucky at a garage sale or cl/kijiji.

I found an original Eames chair without the foot stool for $50 at a garage sale 2 years ago. Keep looking and be patient.

You need to shut up :)

We already have to about everyone's awesome "scroes" and then you pipe up with this. I hate you.

Love,
- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this probably seems a little odd, but I believe the chair to be a part of the audio system.... Justification? Well if you have a chair who's back goes above your ears, its like having a wall for reflections. If your chair is too low, your ears are not at proper listening height, and if your chair is uncomfortable, you will not sit for as long of listening sessions or be distracted from the music.

That being said, I am looking for a chair that is extremely modern and comfortable (subjective, i know, but i need help), and as always, I don't want to spend too much on the chair (as it would rob money that could be allocated to the rest of the system).

I like the Earnes Lounge Chair, Barcelona Chair, and Stressless recliners, but they are all too expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am nervous about buying a knockoff because I don't know how it will wear.

Our local Design Within Reach http://www.dwr.com often puts one off floor samples on Craigslist always at least half off.

Good luck in the search,

Rob

The Poang is a nice choice. I actually have a Target knockoff that I got at a yard sale and I prefer it--in terms of the acoustic effects--to the Selig Eames knockoff that I have.
The Selig is a great chair, and I LOVE the look, but the Poang knockoff is better for listening IMHO

The IKEA Arvika is also a very nice chair, if you don't mind the high backrest.

arvika-swivel-chair__0117719_PE272916_S41.jpg

I personally use an IKEA Tirup, as it's stylish, has a short backrest so as not to block my ears, and is solidly made.

tirup-swivel-armchair__80235_PE204486_S4.jpg

The Arvika chair is $499 and the footstool is $199 in the US.

The Tirup is discontinued in the US but is available in other countries.

I just looked on the Australian IKEA site and the Arvika seems to be $699 plus $299 for the footstool. The Tirup is available and is $869.

Congrats on the stool, btw. :D

i dont think that Arvika is avail here...how much is it?

got myself the stool below yday...:D

CIMG5801_zps3de96914.jpg

At that price range I'd go with the replica hermann miller stuff.......

Also looking at this on our local auction site:

$_57.JPG

These chairs are a very comfortable fit for my 6'-1" height and just as comfy for my 5'-8" wifey. Your head sits just above the "wings" but they are high enough to provide good head and neck support. I find them just right for movie watching and listening in a dedicated media room.

I think they are from Ikea.

:drool:

Wow is that ever nice. I tried looking for that chair at the Canadian Ikea website, looks like they don't carry it. :(

Be patient. Save your money. Look for a deal. And get an Ekornes Stressless chair. It will be worth it. I love mine.

Don't forget Plycraft by George Mulhauser[...]

This one is a Mulhauser design as well:
g4wingloungechair01-500x500.jpg

I have one of these that belonged to my grandfather. Unfortunately, it is common for the bushing that allows these chairs to recline to wear out. At this point I am unaware of any company or hobbyist that manufactures a replacement. I think the other plycraft chairs have a similar piece. They aren't so comfy when you fall backwards every time you try to recline. Bummer.

Big +1 for the Ikea Poang chair if you are on a budget. It's a comfy, decent-looking, readily-available chair to use while you try to score a great deal on your ultimate chair.

My new sofa is low-back, enabling me to avoid the immediate sonic reflections in the shoulder to head region. I like the result. Probably not the most comfy thing when you're about to fall asleep listening to music though.

Go vintage!

There's always going vintage and having it re-upholstered. I found this mid-century modern swedish "DUX" chair for dirt cheap because all the foam had collapsed. Took an upholstery class at the local Community College and rebuilt it from the frame up.

Attachments

• IMG_20140423_202028.jpg
    IMG_20140423_202028.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 140
My new sofa is low-back, enabling me to avoid the immediate sonic reflections in the shoulder to head region. I like the result. Probably not the most comfy thing when you're about to fall asleep listening to music though.

That's why I like my Eames knock-off better than my Ekornes Stressless - I always fell asleep in the latter! Too comfy...figuring out how/where to unload it now.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom