Need Onkyo A-10 Board Layout Diagram

grey_beard

All of the service manuals I can find online have the board diagrams omitted.

Is anyone able to direct me to the board diagrams?

Thanks,
Gary

I can read the schematic on hi-fi engine. Probably the online buy ServiceM would probably have the traces. If you need to identify the traces to component side use a led flash light and markers. Or do you want to print a new board?

Specifically, the unit I have is missing the light bulb and wires that should illuminate the Power light. No trace of the light or wires at all so I'm trying to figure out exactly where the leads should be attached.

I haven't gone with a "pay" option yet for fear that they would also be missing the board images. I guess I'm spoiled by the Marantz and Pioneer SM's.

Binkman, do you have a preferred site for purchasing service manuals?

This A-10 has a bulb soldered to two posts on the board near the protection relay. There are two pairs of posts marked PL. One of these has the leads going to the Protection light, the other has this bulb. The bulb doesn't light up, so I'm guessing it's either a protection bulb or is supposed to go to the Power light and is simply burned out.

I have a call in to a company that sells the SM to make sure that theirs has all the board views included.

In the meantime, does anyone have experience with these Onkyos to know if they are supposed to have a bulb on the board or if that is "aftermarket"?

Thanks for your help!

I have the A-8057 with led's on the main board and they are a dim red. They may have been omitted on purpose. (parts cost) dunno.. how often do I look inside the amp? never. :D
bink

I have the A-8057 with led's on the main board and they are a dim red. They may have been omitted on purpose. (parts cost) dunno.. how often do I look inside the amp? never. :D
bink

I get it. I've had this A-10 for several years now and haven't opened it up in ages. Now that it's open I want to do a full restoration as it's just an amazing piece of equipment and certainly deserves the attention.

grey-beard, I'm going to start a restoration on an A-7 fairly soon. Interested to see if you have any luck getting the SM with board images. I can't find a SM with them for the A-7 either and am also VERY hesitant to shell out for one that may or may not have them. I'm thinking I might create my own during the restoration process but would require a lot of work. Good luck with your A-10!

grey-beard, I'm going to start a restoration on an A-7 fairly soon. Interested to see if you have any luck getting the SM with board images. I can't find a SM with them for the A-7 either and am also VERY hesitant to shell out for one that may or may not have them. I'm thinking I might create my own during the restoration process but would require a lot of work. Good luck with your A-10!

Exciting! I will post back if and when I hear back from the company about their SM. I've also looked at A-7, and 5 service manuals and it looks to be the same issue. Single source I guess.

How close are you to starting your restoration. I've got mine on the bench but haven't ordered any parts yet. I see a lot of people replacing electrolytics with polystyrene caps but I haven't looked into it yet.

I've gone as far as getting the cover off, having a good look around, and starting a BOM to order parts. I'm not on any sort of schedule so it just depends how much free time I have and when I actually order the parts. I'm also trying to wrap up a Marantz 1060 restoration first.

Polystyrene? Do you mean polypropylene? Polystyrene caps can get enormous in anything more than picofarad values. Look around at LeeStereo's rebuild threads. I believe his rule of thumb is film caps for anything under 4.7uf. And polypropylene are best, signal wise, but I'm finding the sizes a bit restrictive in that regard as well. I think finding the right film caps is the hardest part.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from fellow AK'ers in the thread I started on the A-7 once I get my BOM a little further along. Also, the stock film caps may in fact be great sounding already and not need replacement. My main goals are to replace all electrolytic caps, any noise prone transistors such as, but not limited to, the 2SA720 and 2SA726's, as well as any questionable components subject to abuse over the years, i.e. burned resistors, rectifier diodes in the main power section, etc.

Up to you to change Onkyo.. but depends on the model I think. New electrolytics will last long time. but your stuff and you can do whatever. I don't think poly's have the same ballast as signal path electrolytics do. I think of it as a pump... the more you demand the electro's give a better transition.. but even they saturate at high demand. So go figure. all amps saturate that way. The big but is??? nano second melt down faster than your protect circuit can shut it down.
Onkyo ?? only... lol name a brand name that somebody didn't blow something abused and took out the pre's too.. :D

Back
Top Bottom