Need Opinion on Rebuilding Emit Ribbon Tweeters.

Mrnicks

If anyone can look at my tweeter and advise me it they can or are even worth fixing, I'd really appreciate it.
These are from the QBs
Does anyone sell these ribbons yet?

Hi,

This looks like it would be a pretty difficult or near impossible fix and more than likely not worth the endeavor. If they are the same diaphragm as other emits you could buy some used good ones and carefully swap diaphragms or wait for an original set to come up on ebay. I don't think new diaphragms have been sold anywhere for a number of years.

Good luck,

Mark K.

As Mark said you can buy working used emits on eBay. Those look to be the early chrome square ones. The diaphragms are slightly different then the later RS series. I've switch diaphragms between the two styles but it requires a little reworking the Bakelite spacer as the solder buttons are in a different spot.
Jim

Set up an automated search on the bay. These come up fairly frequently and usually aren't too expensive (at least relative to their performance). You can also use the tweeter from the Qe, which has a round mounting plate that can be detached which will give you the identical tweeter. There's actually one on eBay right now (closing in 21 minutes as of this writing) but IMO it's not in the greatest condition and is somewhat overpriced.

Great guys. I really appreciate your opinion. I kind of new they were in pretty bad shape. I've been watching ebay for some replacements. I'll probably go down that path. BTW, I found the set of QBs at the curb for the trash.. It was 6am when I picked them up. The mids and woofers are in great shape. I'm going to rebuild the crossover and get new tweeter and add them to the collection.

Qbs at the curb, nice find. I recently acquired a set of Qbs from the thrift. One Emit shot, dirty pots, and one midrange cap in a crossover was out. I replaced the caps with Daytons from PE and used a tweeter from my old Qes as a replacement. They sound very good. Makes me want to get back into Quantum speakers again.

Back
Top Bottom