Need opinions on Power for Cerwin Vega AT-15's

The 4 ohm setting is probably why the mids and highs are running away from the lows.

I used a set of D9s on an older Sony AVR for a while. At low levels it was fine but cranking it up the 4 ohm setting was a clear restriction. Set it to 8 and never looked back. I got rid of the receiver long ago but it was still working then.
yeah , didn't change it on my old technics and it still works but I am sure it is very close to letting out the magic puff of smoke. This new marantz cost me just over 1100 maple bucks and i am hesitant of running it into shutdown. My AT-15's never shut the technics down and i tortured it , didn't even bother checking how hot it was. Probably should of but i kept a close eye on the marantz and it got hot fast. I might try the 6 ohm setting tomorrow when everyone is awake and see if opening the pipe up a bit will help but I will admit i like it loud and i don't want to cook this receiver

Cerwin Vega, like many others, made some very decent amplifiers back in the day that were well made tanks: Bozak, Epicure, Bose etc. all gone but a few fine examples floating around out there... Would be a perfect match for a pair of AT15. I sent it because our dollar is schitt so any offer - using American money - would save 30% right off the top...
I am located in rural Saskatchewan so no american money and it is a pain in the neck finding anything half decent used without being like a 5 or 6 hour drive to go get but I appreciate the recommendations on amplifiers to keep an eye out for!

Just scored a Soundcraftsmen MA5002a rated at 250wpc into 8ohms and I think a nice 375wpc into 4ohms On the back of both my DX9s and the original D9s they are rated @400watts and 4ohms so some like even more power for the so called headroom more power to ya scotty but I dont want to blow mine up! My Pioneer SX-1010 drove my DX9s really nice and loved the sound best so far but again dont want to see the smoke come out of the pioneer either so stand alone amps are the way to go I feel and everyone has there own preference on that...

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Marantz SR 5011 Receiver fully knowing it would not power my AT-15's to the level i would like but to have a solid platform to build off of. I am now looking for a power amp to run these 4 ohm power hungry speakers. The SR 5011 is 4 ohm capable but does not have the 4 ohm power rating published. I was looking at the Marantz MM 7025 power amplifier but it appears as though it is only 6-8 ohm capable , and I also wonder how much of a difference the 140 watt rating compared to the SR 5011 100 watt rating would make if it was 4 ohm capable. My options are kind of limited as I am a rural Canadian and we get the short end of the stick when it comes to buying anything. So now I am looking at the Cerwin Vega CV-900 pro audio amp which can probably be had for around 450 maple bucks. Looking for opinions and options that would meet or exceed expectations that won't cost 1500+
I run four 4ohm Cerwin Vegas with an assortment of receivers and integrated amps. Sansui 8080, 2000x, QA7000, QR4500. All drive the speakers to concert levels if driven. You don't need a lot of power to drive them you just need well build power sources.

I don't have the at-15's but I do have at-10's and they sounded great with the kenwood power amp I was using....until I used them to dj a small party and hooked them to a 250w/4ohm power amp. WOW did it open them up! Those cerwin vegas...the more power you feed them, the better they get. Get an amp big enough to give you plenty of headroom should you ever need it, and stop worrying about pro vs home amps, in a blind test i'd bet most people couldn't tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom