Need parts for a Kenwood KR-6600

tropicalian

rockin in the freeworld
Subscriber
Wow! I've been offline for a while! Hello to anyone that noticed I was gone. How have things been here?

Anyways, I have a request. I recently had a good day at the local good will and scored four pieces of audio gear.
One wood cased Pioneer reverb amp. sr-202w? something like that. 5$
One MCS integrated amp. circa 1980s 3$
One MCS receiver w/silver face. circa 70's 80's? 3$
One Kenwood KR-6600 with wood case. 5$

The kenwood was perhaps dropped. The wood case is coming apart on one edge but not completely, and there is also a large chip on the side. None of the corners are bent or anything though, which is nice.
The speaker knob, howerever, is broken off to the point that you can see the break off point just inside of the front. The treble knobis slightly bent as well as one other one perhaps, can't quite recall.
How do I replace the speaker selector knob? Does anyone have any replacement stuff or just some kind advice on the needed parts? I would really appreciate it. I couldn't resist pluggint it in and it lights up beautifully and the FM light is the only one that is out.
Anyone have the specs on this receiver? My guess is that its between 60-80 watts per channel from the weight of it. No clue though. It could be pretty sharp looking if cleaned up and the speaker selector replaced. Hopefully it works ok.
Thanks in advance :)
Its good to be back.

Replacing a speaker selector switch rates as one of the least fun things to do that I can think of. It's a difficult job on most amps/receivers.

You will need to come up with a part number and see if you can still get a replacement. Parts Solver shows a switch #S01-2038-05 as available (not always accurate on what can still be bought). The part description is not detailed enough to tell if this is the speaker switch, but judging from the price ($25) it just might be.

The only other option is to find a parts unit, or hardwire one speaker connection so you can at least listen to it.

If you want to tackle this, you may have to invest in a manual to check part numbers and make sure you can get the wiring reinstalled correctly. And unless you are pretty good at detailed soldering in really tight places, I'd say let someone with a bit of tech savvy take on this project.

Kenwood Speaker Selector

I suspect replacement is gonna be a Tough Dog.
Often parts like that switch are not standard off the shelf parts. Probably you'll have to find the schematic, see what the switch consists of, likely multiple wafers I'll guess.

Either the set will become a parts donor, or you'll need a similar parts donor to get that part.

The KR-6600 was as I ( rather faintly ) recall a middle of the line set, probably 30 or 40 wpc.

If as the previous poster stated, Partsolver may have the part, but its now up to you to invest $25 ( if it is the right switch ) plus a lot of time and labor to disassemble the set, put in the switch, solder it, on a $5 purchase...

Well I have some receivers here that maybe have sat broken for ten or more years, at least four Harmon Kardons, two NAD's, and maybe more. Too many projects and not enough hours and days.

Of the three amps/receivers you bought, I'd say the KR-6600 is probably the best one to spend a few hours fixing, so I say, go for it, if you can get the part.

-Steve

parts

If you could post or send me a pix of the selector I may have one. I have a lot of parts and schematics from the 70's.
My local Goodwill has a KR 7600a on the shelve for $10.States on the front 100w. I have been debating on getting it.
Doug

I once did this with a Marantz 2245 whose speaker selector had frozen, not for the faint hearted and it helps if you have four hands.

That said, I found similat switch in my junk box and removed the shaft along with the front plate. Did the same with the switch in the 2245. Had you been present you might have learned some new words during the process while I fed those little spacers over the screws and then the lock washers and nuts, but I managed to pull it off, and did not have to solder one darn wire.

Back
Top Bottom