need reciever restoration advice

rhinofly

Toadfather
I just picked up a dusty old Pioneer SX-828 at a local thrift store for $10. After cleaning I give it a 9/10 for cosmetics...its beautiful. Very heavy and awsome build quality. It has some sort of weird portin the side that might have something to do with Quadraphonic capability...anyone?

It seems to be about 50W/channel and sounds wonderful when I played a cd through it. I dont know if its a DC coupled amp but the DC offset is less than 10mv per channel.

The tuner (three gang) seems to be about comparable in sensitivity and selection to my unmodded Sansui TU-717, though the Sansui sounds better.

I tested all functions except the tape functions and they all work.

There are only a couple things to fix.

1: One of the fuse-type lights is out and needs replacing but it looks like its very hard to get to...anyone experienced here? Any suggestions on where to buy lights?

2: The tone knobs are split so that each knob controls left and right speaker individualy. The inner part of each tone control is really sticky and needs cleaning. Also a couple of the switches are a bit scratchy. Any suggestions on the best cleaner to use?

3: The power cord has been cut at one time and another one spliced on. Id like to just replace the whole thing. Ideas or suggestions as to what to use and where to find it?

This is my first attempt at a vintage restoration. I figured for $10 I couldnt go wrong:) Fun Fun Fun!

I do believe the SX-828 has a 5-gang tuner, as originally advertised, and stated in the owners manual. It is essentially the TX-9100 tuner and the SA-9100 integrated amp.
The power output was 54 wpc. They came with a signed note indicating individual channel output, mine was 58 & 60 (though I don't remember which channel was a bit stronger). Those numbers were verified later at a Marantz clinic (remember those? Bring your amp, get it measured). I think I thought as much of that SX-828 as I have anything since.

re: There are only a couple things to fix.

1: One of the fuse-type lights is out and needs replacing but it looks like its very hard to get to...anyone experienced here? Any suggestions on where to buy lights?

I have hundreds of the fuse and wedge style lamps, PM your needs!!

2: The tone knobs are split so that each knob controls left and right speaker individualy. The inner part of each tone control is really sticky and needs cleaning. Also a couple of the switches are a bit scratchy. Any suggestions on the best cleaner to use?

CAIG and MG chemicals work great for the internals of the controls, for external cleaning I clean the knobs with mild solution of Turtle Wax car wash, a good thread on cleaning pots; http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6881

3: The power cord has been cut at one time and another one spliced on. Id like to just replace the whole thing. Ideas or suggestions as to what to use and where to find it?

I might have a good substitute AC line cord lying around.

Good luck, Wojo.
:)

Bully that is interesting. I opened it up and only saw a three gang. I wonder if it might have sepatate am / fm gangs? Hmm I need to take another look in there. Or maybe I just dont understand what a gang is. Its a bunch of variable air-gap capacitors that are rotated as a group as you tune, yes?

djwogo will take a look and let you know, thanks!

EDIT: I just went and looked up the 9100 tuner at the TIC site and it does indeed have 5 fm gangs and 3 am gangs. It also has 4 filters. I must have just seen the am gangs. No wonder the tuner on the reciever works so well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom