Need some bass

PhillipW

I have a marantz 2215b which I just restored. I have paired it with a vintage pioneer turn table and a set of near mint Advent 3 speakers. My problem is I can't crank up the bass without alot if distortion thru the speakers. What kind of vintage speakers should I look for so I can thump ?

Get a sub to add in the mix!
I sold that receiver with a pair of EPI 100's that had plenty of bass. But if wanting earthquakes and explosions shaking the floor get a sub.

Barney

Is-Butch-Brown-a-Bad-Person-Becasue-He-Holds-fish-on-a-Stringer-for-Pictures.jpg

:D

Try the easy stuff first. Clean your connections and make sure you're using decent cables. The advents look to be sealed units, so I'd also check the driver gaskets and such to make sure you've got a good seal.

Is-Butch-Brown-a-Bad-Person-Becasue-He-Holds-fish-on-a-Stringer-for-Pictures.jpg

:D

Try the easy stuff first. Clean your connections and make sure you're using decent cables. The advents look to be sealed units, so I'd also check the driver gaskets and such to make sure you've got a good seal.
Seals are in very good condition...I have researched the Advent speakers and from what I have read, the Advent's weren't big on base.would love to upgrade but can't think of going non vintage unless I have to.

Gotcha ... see #2 ... <G>

You should plan to get a sub with a healthy bandpass and route the Advents through that.

Budget?

You're not going to be able to "crank up" the bass a lot with 15 watts unless you use very efficient speakers. Something like Klipsch Cornwalls or Fortes would probably do the trick, but it all depends on your budget, how big the speakers can be, etc.

Budget?

You're not going to be able to "crank up" the bass a lot with 15 watts unless you use very efficient speakers. Something like Klipsch Cornwalls or Fortes would probably do the trick, but it all depends on your budget, how big the speakers can be, etc.
As big as they make

I have a marantz 2215b which I just restored. I have paired it with a vintage pioneer turn table and a set of near mint Advent 3 speakers. My problem is I can't crank up the bass without alot if distortion thru the speakers. What kind of vintage speakers should I look for so I can thump ?

Speaker placement may help, but you may want to clean the controls if you have not already. Another idea would be to run an EQ...

What is your source? CD, Vinyl, phone? If you are using a device like your phone/iPod, mess with the EQ, that may help.

CD/Vinyl, you may want to try an EQ.

Good Luck with it!

Kind Regards,
John

Agree,with only 15wpc from the Marantz your best bet is to add a nice subwoofer.
IME that can often work out better than adding larger/higher sensitivity speakers.

Problem with low wpc solid state gear is it can be really easy to push the power amp into clipping.
Especially when looking to "thump" loudly.

Also keep in mind that an EQ can often compound that problem with these low wpc units as well.
And that's coming from a diehard EQ user.

So this is one case where I would add a sub (w/speaker level ins/outs),and I'd want a sub with high passed outputs.
That would take the deep bass duties away from those Advent /3's and hopefully clean up their output at higher listening levels.

JMO ~ YMMV

Bret P.

Agree,with only 15wpc from the Marantz your best bet is to add a nice subwoofer.
IME that can often work out better than adding larger/higher sensitivity speakers.

Problem with low wpc solid state gear is it can be really easy to push the power amp into clipping.
Especially when looking to "thump" loudly.

Also keep in mind that an EQ can often compound that problem with these low wpc units as well.
And that's coming from a diehard EQ user.

So this is one case where I would add a sub (w/speaker level ins/outs),and I'd want a sub with high passed outputs.
That would take the deep bass duties away from those Advent /3's and hopefully clean up their output at higher listening levels.

JMO ~ YMMV

Bret P.
Thanks Brett...you have any subs suggestions that you can think of

!5 watts of power, is a very small amount of power. On top of that you probably, have loudness contour on and the bass knob at 3:00. The distortion you hear is the amp clipping. I do not know how efficient the Advent 3's are, but if you want to use this unit you will need more efficient speakers. I do believe in using a quality powered sub, but cheap subs just don't cut off any signal LF going into the amp, which would help you with not loading the amp with LF. IMO anything less than 50 watts, is hard to get good bass or high levels, with a medium efficiency speaker.

EDIT: It is not a matter of taking the the LF away from going into the speaker, You have to keep it from entering the amp in the first place. LF is eating up the power of the Marantz.

Back
Top Bottom