Need some good articles on the superiority of vinyl.

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi
I am involved in a debate with a guy about the superiority of vinyl vs cd. What I am looking for is some good technical articles showing why vinyl works as well as it does. This guy has not heard a record on a decent table, nor has he bought any new vinyl since the mid eighties. He has bought into the perfect sound forever myth. I do not have the oppurtunity to prove it to him by letting him have a listen to mine. I have conceded that vinyl requires more work, effort, investment of money and time than cd does.

Any links or tips on good articles would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Erik

Screw him. More records for you. :) Does he have a vintage audio setup? If so, tell him about the superiority of the equipment at Best Buy and how he can get a 500 watt surround system for $200 that's soooo much better than your crappy old system, and how maybe you can have his old system for the garage or something.

Sansui Louie said:
Screw him. More records for you. :) Does he have a vintage audio setup? If so, tell him about the superiority of the equipment at Best Buy and how he can get a 500 watt surround system for $200 that's soooo much better than your crappy old system, and how maybe you can have his old system for the garage or something.

Judging by his comments, he is a Yorx/Soundesign kinda guy all the way. Just wanna erase some of the smugness :)
E

in the end only his ears can tell him if vinyl is superior. he may be one of those that doesnt think the sound of vinyl is indeed superior.

yeah Cd's are better than vinyl. Just ask all the Skip doctor, CD repair kit people. The Something's wrong with my cd player's skipping, don't scratch, no noise,finger prints all over them, Yeah records don't sound good, Best buy Stereo type. Now put two people with good set ups together one who handles Cd's as well as the other handles Lp's. You can have an honest debate. I'll stop here on that part. I was reminded of when Cd's first came out I would not buy them and then new records were no longer available, hence big gap in music time line. Yes I could not win at that debate either. Skip Doctor and all the Cd repair + cleaning devices out there have proven after all these years a couple of points I was trying to make at the time. I saved articles like you are looking for from newspapers and magazines but have know idea where i put them probably in box in storage. I listen to Cds and vinyl. I myself prefer Vinyl. This is merely an opinion on this topic in relation to times I have had the same debate and no way to compare the two at the time for a judgement call.

Bigerik said:
Judging by his comments, he is a Yorx/Soundesign kinda guy all the way. Just wanna erase some of the smugness :)
E

I have learned that these types of people really dont have the intrest that we do in listening to music. Does not matter what you tell them show them or let them listen to, they still cant hear it or dont want to.

Say what you have to say and if he dosent get it, go home and immerse yourself in some vintage audio and f**k um. :D

Judging by his comments, he is a Yorx/Soundesign kinda guy all the way. Just wanna erase some of the smugness

Yeah, those damn Yorx owners think the world revolves around ttheir CD/changer. I'd say the best thing to do is invite him over, play him a record, and make him buy the beer.

I've read lot's of articles on how much better vinyl is than digital. Sadly, I've never read a good one, they aren't what I would call objective. The proof is in the pudding.

Otherwise, go to stereophile.com and search fremer.

Lots of people think I'm eccentric because I have a ton of records and turntables in nearly every room. Let 'em think that...fine with me. :)

To be honest, I have heard some really great cd playback, as well as realy good vinyl. In the end, I find the vinyl to just be more 'live". The illusion it creates, is for me, just more real. And, all the audiohile BS aside, it is all an illusion.
If I guy wants to compare the sound of good cd's through a good cd based system, to vinyl on mine, I will do it all day long. Sounds like a lot of fun actually. But for a person to just dismiss the whole world on vinyl just because the K-Tel albums he bought 30 years ago did not sound good thru his plastic armed, portable turntable with the penny on the headshell, is just ignorant. I don't expect a guy like that to actually ever learn or understand, but I would not mind dropping an intellectual FAE on his arguments. Guys like this are to audio what the al-qaeda types are to western civilization....
Erik

A Yorx lover, eh? Well, get him this and make him a believer.

So, you couldn't get him over to listen to your vinyl rig and hear what it should sound like, in direct comparison to CD? A shame, but perhaps better. Some people don't want to change their minds once set and trying is just a waste of effort on your part.

For what it's worth, I like vinyl and CD equally. The former for critical listening, the latter for everything else.

- JP

i did a report on this for school....had to give a little speech too..... its both opinion based and technical

you are more than welcome to read it if you like

jbrocious said:
i did a report on this for school....had to give a little speech too..... its both opinion based and technical

you are more than welcome to read it if you like
i'm game.....

this was copied from an MS Word document, its missing the pictures and some other stuff. its a VERY elementary paper as the target audience was other students in the class.... i also had to list pros and cons as well.... i wasnt overly pleased with how it turned out, but it was my last paper before graduation!

Date: November 29, 2005

To: Mr. Gawain Emanuel, University of Pittsburgh Professor

Subject: Final Report, True Audio Reproduction

Dear Mr. Emanuel:

Enclosed is a copy of my report on analog and digital audio recording. After submitting the proposal of the topic, this final report provides detailed information regarding analog and digital audio formats.

With research and personal experience, the report includes technical and opinion based information. The research for the paper provided some new information that supports my opinions as well as show evidence for the perceived differences between the two formats.

Based on the research I have reviewed, my assertion that analog audio provides a more natural listening experience is supported. New technologies have overshadowed the traditional analog form, but analog has had a resurgence recently. As more advancements in technology are introduced, those individuals who do not know of the old recording format will not have the opportunity to hear the lifelike and natural sound.

Thank you for the opportunity to research this topic and present its findings. Please contact me at jdb152@pitt.edu with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Jesse Brocious

Executive Summary

The introduction of digital audio during the 1980’s brought on a race to create the most pure fidelity. This race has caused most of the audio product consumers to move from their old analog audio equipment (vinyl records) to the new digital audio (compact discs). As with any new technology, people will take hold of a new product and spend whatever it takes to get the latest gear.

With the new audio revolution, the old vintage analog form is slowly becoming extinct. Audiophiles have began to switch from their trusted vinyl recordings as well. Today, many new consumers do not even know that vinyl records are still available and produced. The rapid shift from analog to digital can be summed up in one word, convenience. Compact discs are cheaper to produce, easier to maintain, have a longer life, and can be copied unlimited times with no change in quality.

Given the ease of use, digital audio may seem like the logical choice, but for pure audio reproduction vinyl will remain the best choice. When cost, time, and effort are of no object and the user desires the most accurate reproduction of his or her favorite music, vinyl will be the choice of the most discerning audiophile. Based on research, personal experience, and technical data, analog recordings are fundamentally superior when given the proper setup and maintenance. While good quality equipment and calibration may require additional effort and money, the results will be rewarding.

In order to show the differences between the two audio formats, technical knowledge will be necessary to understand the fundamentals. While analog recording is a constant replication of the music, digital recording is, “the chopping up of music into little pieces, and reconstituting it like powdered orange juice” (Holt).

Given my research and personal experiences, I assert that analog recording provides a more natural and uniform listening experience.

True Audio Reproduction

Since the inception of recorded sound, novices and audiophiles alike have tried to reproduce sound as accurately as possible. Today, with the digital revolution, many have lost appreciation for the natural sound of analog audio.

Introduction

During the 1980’s, the compact disc (CD) was introduced as the first mass-produced digital1 audio format. This led way to an on going debate as to whether the new digital format was better than the traditional analog2 format. While an analog recording is a mechanical representation of the sound, a digital recording encodes the original sound with a computer (“Analog”). The debate amongst audiophiles lies in the fact that digital recording breaks the audio into thousands of pieces to be decoded later, while analog recordings are an actual representation of the sound waves. That being said, the use of traditional analog sources will produce a more life-like and natural listening experience.

As defined by the American Heritage Dictionary, sound waves are “A longitudinal pressure wave of audible or inaudible sound” (“sound wave”). These sound waves are perceived differently by each individual and are subject to scrutiny. Much of the debate regarding the differences between analog and digital recordings are more or less perceived, but there is technical and scientific evidence as well.

By establishing an understanding of sound and its structure, my research shows that analog recordings are superior in many audible areas. These areas will be evaluated in regards to perception and scientific evidence. Most of the debate on this issue resides in the perception of the music being played, and as J. Gordon Holt states, “The first stereo discs were castigated by most sonically-aware critics on precisely the same grounds” (Holt).

Analog and Digital Technicalities

In order to understand the differences in the two formats, a clear foundation of the reproduction of sound is necessary. Sound itself is vibration and is represented by waves in a graphical form. Mathematically, sound is defined by frequency, wavelength, and amplitude. For the purposes of this paper, frequency will be the only term needed for a clear understanding of the material. Frequency is defined as, “the number of air pressure oscillations per second at a fixed point occupied by a sound wave. One single oscillatory cycle per second corresponds to 1 Hz3” (“Sound”). To humans, the average audible range is somewhere between 20-20,000hz, with 20hz being low bass frequencies and higher pitched frequencies ranging upwards of 20,000hz.

For the analog format, a wave will be a direct correlation of the actual sound being recorded. A digital format on the other hand will be an estimate of the original waveform (see figure 1). By estimating the pattern of the waveform, many proponents of analog audio feel that digital recordings lose the natural flow of the sound.

Vinyl records for example have a groove carved into the surface that mimics the actual wave pattern. Compact discs on the other hand break up the analog pattern at a rate of 44,100 times per second (also referred to as 44.1kHz). A computer then processes this sample of the analog signal and the pieces are put back together as an audible form. This process is known as a digital to analog conversion, DAC for short (“Analog”).

Audible and Perceptible Differences

Audio recording quality is greatly based on the listeners’ perception. Many of the most discerning audiophiles have quite different views as to which audio format is more accurate. Technology today has created new formats of digital audio that create recordings of 192kHz, which is over four times the sampling rate of conventional compact discs. With the new format, the original analog sound wave is much more closely followed (“Sound”).

In terms of audible differences, the new format can replicate an original analog recording much better, but it is still not exact. Critics claim, “that the analog sound is "truer" because it is not reconstructed” (“Analog”). Imagine drawing a circle by connecting lines more like an octagon, the circle will obviously not be smooth despite following a similar pattern. Thus, the analog recording can follow an infinite wave while the digital form will still be in pieces no matter how many pieces (see figure 2). This irregularity is also known as aliasing4.

The fluctuations in the wave pattern are usually audible in instruments such as drums. Quick changes in the music can be missed by the recording and will be heard as a light popping or bottoming out. On the hand, analog recordings will provide a smooth transition regardless of timing or frequency.

Analog recordings are not perfect though, and for the audiophile vinyl records usually define absolute fidelity. The downside to analog vinyl recordings is their lack of resilience. They are easily scratched, any dust on the record will be heard, and they wear out over time. In order to reach their full potential the vinyl must be meticulously maintained. However, dust is the biggest culprit to deteriorating sound quality on a vinyl recording. Dust can cause interference between the needle reading the grooves in the recording. On the other hand, J. Gordon Holt remarks,
“Every technological advance in sound reproduction has been hailed as "unmusical," "unnatural," and "contrary to God's law." The first electrical recordings were condemned (by those who cared about sound at all) as "shrill," "steely" (footnote 1) and "unmusical"” (Holt).
That being said, both formats can have their downsides, but for the audio purist analog will remain superior.

Many contenders of analog recordings find the popping or clicking caused by dust and scratches in the vinyl to be the biggest downside. Unfortunately, most of those individuals have never had the ability to listen to a high quality recording on high quality equipment. The difference is night and day and a very detailed soundstage is present when the noises are eliminated. Robert Hof states,
“Many audiophiles, for instance, swear that well-produced, well-maintained vinyl records produce warmer, more pleasing music than compact disks. "The old vinyl sounds better," insists Al Farleigh, owner of Big Al's Record Barn in the Silicon Valley city of Santa Clara, Calif” (Hof).

As more people make the switch to digital, the more distant younger generations will grow apart from the older technologies. The digital age will continue to advance and at sometime maybe match the natural sound of vinyl, but until then people should try and appreciate the distinct sound.

Conclusions

In order to build an appreciation for old technology, an A and B comparison would be necessary to show the differences. The trouble with sound is that it relies heavily on opinion and perception. Even in a direct comparison, someone who is accustomed to certain sound qualities might be partial to attributes others may find harsh or unpleasant. The benefit to analog recordings is that it usually carries a warm and smooth sound unlike the metallic or synthesized sound of digital recordings

Digital audio has many advantages over analog audio to the everyday user. Digital audio in the CD form is more portable, reliable, easy to use, and less expensive. From the economical and practical standpoint, digital is superior in almost every aspect. On the other hand, my assertion remains in the fact that for the audiophile or someone seeking purity and musical excellence, analog vinyl recordings can provide an unrivaled soundstage. Regardless of the subject matter or product, a consumer seeking something premium will not be concerned with the additional effort or money needed to grasp the added benefits.

From the technical standpoint analog may lack sophistication in the area of noise reduction and tone control, but as long as the original recording is true to the real music it will sound more natural. Given the right equipment and a quality recording even the most diehard digital fan will grow an appreciation for how musical analog recordings can be. Hof comments in his article,
“Behind the sleek facade of the digital age there lurks a dirty little secret. Creaky old "analog" technologies such as film, vinyl phonograph records, and, yes, even mechanical clocks with revolving hands boast a raft of advantages -- a richness, longevity, and human scale -- that most of their digital counterparts are not yet able to match” (Hof).

Analog audio is the pinnacle of prestige and quality for someone seeking unparalleled reproduction of music. By taking the additional time to maintain and calibrate an analog setup the sound quality can be impacted greatly.

Last edited:
Awesome!
Well written piece, if a little too unbiased! :)
I will steal from it enthusiastically. Hope he gave you a good grade. Would love a copy of the orginal with the notes, etc in place.
Erik

The real obstacle to the average unenlightened person's ability to understand the value of good vinyl is that it requires effort to learn what he needs to buy, how to set things up properly and then care and maintenance of everything concerning his audio playback system. From the standpoint of someone who is unwilling to make the effort, CD is superior on all counts.

Bigerik said:
Awesome!
Well written piece, if a little too unbiased! :)
I will steal from it enthusiastically. Hope he gave you a good grade. Would love a copy of the orginal with the notes, etc in place.
Erik

i can email you an MS word document that has the cover page, table of contents, etc....

just let me know.... and thanks for the compliments (grade was a B+, it was a technical writing class so he got me on a few little things)

jbrocious said:
i can email you an MS word document that has the cover page, table of contents, etc....

just let me know.... and thanks for the compliments (grade was a B+, it was a technical writing class so he got me on a few little things)

Would love to have a copy of it!
Thanks
Erik

jbrocious said:
QUOTE]

Jbrocious,

I know that was not meant for me, but I´d love to get that also. Can do?
Thanks,
Jorge

Back
Top Bottom