Need some help with soldering iron tips

This is probably about as far fetched a post as should be on an audio site but here goes. I need to get info regarding the metal used for the tips of soldering irons. I am surgeon doing humanitarian work in developing nations and the most common electro-cautery unit has been discontinued by the manufactor. In doing so the contact tips are not longer available. The replacement for this technology is a diode laser; a far superior machine but way too expensive for third world hospitals.

The tips look a lot like the ones used in the Weller 7205. We tried one of the tips from the Weller and it worked fairly well but we need different shapes. I have found a machine shop that can tool the part but don't know what type of steel is used. Metallurgy wasn't part of Med school.

Any help is appreciated . Fortunatly the regulatory bodies like the FDA are not as insular in foreign countries so if we something that works it will be fine. Regards to all.

Soldering iron tips are made of copper core plated with iron. The copper is used for heat transfer and the iron plating is used for durability.

For your purposes, I would think you can skip the plating and just use copper.
Plating's only done to help keep the copper from melting into the solder.

Last edited:
I would think that 316L stainless would be a must for for any piece of medical equipment.

18-8 has more iron content than 316L & 316LVM Surgical steel. Vet medical standards are the same as human.Key is reducing metallic contamination. This all falls under CGMP standards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom