Need some info from our Jazz aficionados

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Though I'm normally not a jazz fan (really like blues), I've expanded into some jazz, mostly Thelonius. These are my thrift finds today. All the albums are VG+ or better.Jazz.jpg

Lena Horne ~The Lady and Her Music~ MFSL (not even sure what genre she is)
Hubert Laws ~Afro Classic~ CTI label
Ellinton ~Indigos~ 6 eye Columbia
Sidney Bechet ~ Portrait~ Barclay German press
Louis Cottrells ~Live at Carnegie~ ~Vik Label~
Echos of an Era ~ The Johnny Smith-Stan Getz Years~ Roulette

After some research on ole Discogs that Sidney Bechet is turning out to be the SCROE. Not a lot of info on that one, but the sale price on discogs (which is normally low) pays for the group 3 times over.

Looking at them further the Lena is a Japanese press and the Sidney can't be found on Ebay. Man I feel I did well. Now listening to the 6 eye Ellington, I now understand why everyone appreciates 6 eye recordings, so smooth and even sounding, like an earlier version of MFSL.

Starting to wonder if putting back the 6 eye recording of Mahalia Jackson (there were vg at best) was a mistake. Like I said I'm a jazz noob.

Last edited:
6 eyes are special indeed! Especially the monos.
I've come across Bechet from time to time, the first presses from Blue Note. So they are valuable in a way, but they don't catch like a Davis or Coltrane does.
Talking about Monk, you should try 'In Action'. Together with Sunday At The Village Vanguard my favorite live session in jazz!

6 eyes are special indeed! Especially the monos.
I've come across Bechet from time to time, the first presses from Blue Note. So they are valuable in a way, but they don't catch like a Davis or Coltrane does.
Talking about Monk, you should try 'In Action'. Together with Sunday At The Village Vanguard my favorite live session in jazz!

Pretty sure I have "in action" in my Monk collection, along with a handful of Europe tour stuff he did.

Starting to wonder if putting back the 6 eye recording of Mahalia Jackson (there were vg at best) was a mistake. Like I said I'm a jazz noob.

One of the beautiful things about those old 6-eye pressings is that they stand up to abuse very well. A Columbia 6-eye in rougher shape will often hold its sound quality over other pressings in similar condition in my experience.

Hope that helps, and nice finds!

Yes , great snag, also love the old jazz if you see any on the verve label. Those are usu

If you're into full-on black gospel, there's no one like Mahalia. She's not jazz at all (she refused to sing blues), but one of the most incredible voices out there. Her version of "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" could raise the dead.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Hey - A few nice pick ups. Columbia Six Eyes and any of those old Columbia LPs are nice. Two eyes are great, and so are those old ones with the blue label. Verve also sounds nice.

But if you want to get into more jazz, just keep pursuing those artists you like. If you get them on a great label or pressing, all the better. What an LP's worth monetarily only concerns me in that if it's too expensive, I may not be able to get music that I want to hear. If I've managed to pick up something valuable at low cost, I don't care about how much it is could sell for, because it's never going to be sold!

You might want to go back and see if those Mahalia Jackson LPs are still there. She was great.

BTW, she did cut one LP with Duke Ellington. Of course, she was not a jazz singer. But it was great to hear her singing with backgrounds provided by Duke.

As a rule, if you can grab a 6 eye Mahalia for cheap - grab it. Her output varied on Columbia, some of the albums are amazing while others were not. But she was a gospel singer, not really a jazz singer.

Great haul - congrats. I agree with the comments on Mahalia Jackson. She's one of a handful of the greatest female vocalists ever.

The Ellington is probably the most valuable thing in that stash, but that Bechet is probably excellent.

I'll clean them today. The Ellington is prert
The Ellington is probably the most valuable thing in that stash, but that Bechet is probably excellent.

After research the Ellington is actually pretty common, maybe not in the shape I found it. I've cleaned the gambit and am currently listening to it. The Bechet, the rarest of the bunch, isn't my style: very old timey. The Ellington is fabulous, the Hubert Laws is incredible, and (I forgot to mention) George Benson promo is a total standout.

I'll clean them today. The Ellington is prert

After research the Ellington is actually pretty common, maybe not in the shape I found it. I've cleaned the gambit and am currently listening to it. The Bechet, the rarest of the bunch, isn't my style: very old timey. The Ellington is fabulous, the Hubert Laws is incredible, and (I forgot to mention) George Benson promo is a total standout.

I probably should have been more specific. When I said "valuable to me" I was thinking more from the music POV - I would enjoy it the most. I honestly couldn't tell you the specific values of any of them. Unless you are trying to flip them later for cash or trade, the real return will be in enjoyment. Sounds like you did well in that dept. I know what you mean about Bechet - but you must understand how important he is to modern jazz. He single handedly changed the sax when he switched from clarinet to soprano. He is every bit as important as somebody like the Hawk for example. It wasn't always "what" he played, " but "how" he played it. In any case, there's no accounting for taste, especially when it comes to jazz. Enjoy your albums...

Bechet also lived a fascinating and turbulent life and spent many years living in Europe where we was beloved. He also figures prominently in the early days of the Blue Note label.

Though I'm normally not a jazz fan (really like blues), I've expanded into some jazz, mostly Thelonius. These are my thrift finds today. All the albums are VG+ or better.View attachment 874747

Lena Horne ~The Lady and Her Music~ MFSL (not even sure what genre she is)
Hubert Laws ~Afro Classic~ CTI label
Ellinton ~Indigos~ 6 eye Columbia
Sidney Bechet ~ Portrait~ Barclay German press
Louis Cottrells ~Live at Carnegie~ ~Vik Label~
Echos of an Era ~ The Johnny Smith-Stan Getz Years~ Roulette

I myself am trying to expand my musical horizons and am interested in a mellow laid back type of jazz....not really into the "everybody doing their own thing" type of jazz, so I am wondering about the style of jazz on your purchases, and if anyone can recommend something that might be up my alley...I don't mean to hijack, but just thought it might help more people than just myself...I recently heard an album called "Blues for the Fisherman"?, I think, and if I remember it was by Art Pepper? It was nice

Back
Top Bottom