need some insight here

dlallen4

So I have a JVC JR-S501 receiver I have done some research on it. It does have the power switch issue that seems to be common. I leave it on as it is plugged into a harmon kardon preamp/tuner with remote so the jvc is only a slave amp here. My question is can it handle a 4 ohm or 3 ohm load as is what the Thiel CS 1.5s that should be here tomorrow require. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about your particular unit but most manufacturers will state the spec on a plate, located about the actual terminals for the speakers.

That seems to be a really low impedance load.. I would proceed with caution.

I have read that the JVC will do 4 ohm but the Thiel cs 1.5s as I understand drop to 3 ohm and I definitely don't want to damage the receiver.

Thank you I have come to AK many times while researching the above mentioned gear. I could not find anything in regards to what I actually want to do.

The lower the impedance, the closer to a dead short your amp sees it, the harder it works. If using low-impedance speakers, be judicious with the throttle. Or, be safe, get a couple of big 4 ohm resistors, put in series with each speaker. Then, crank it up! :rockon:

The lower the impedance, the closer to a dead short your amp sees it, the harder it works. If using low-impedance speakers, be judicious with the throttle. Or, be safe, get a couple of big 4 ohm resistors, put in series with each speaker. Then, crank it up! :rockon:
Thank you and I understand the way impedance works my JVC is rated I believe 160 w/ch @ 4 ohm I want to know if it can handle the 3 ohms that the Thiels want. I obviously don't want to harm my JVC as this thing is an absolute monster and has killed many cheaper speakers that were simply overrated. Not to mention some not so cheap speakers. Boston A-150s

I have the thiels now I should not have these. I have added extra ventilation to the jvc (fan forced and out in the open). It loves them totally flat and screaming highs on any classic rock track so far.

Yeah I'm pretty sure my neighbors are not loving my new speakers. These things sure are power hungry. First speakers I have auditioned at home and ran out of amplification. My next purchase will be a larger amplifier. The adcom gfa 545ii clipped way to early and they seem to like the jvc but it uses all 120 watts on both channels and the speakers want more. Incredible masterpiece in a simple fairly small speaker.

Back
Top Bottom