1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Need some Kenwood expertise

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by 6 walls, Feb 8, 2018.

1. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Well-Known Member

Steve said: "I think that the point the other guy was trying to make was that the volume had to be turned up higher as a percentage of its rated power. Twenty watts of delivered output from a 35 watt receiver vice a 100 watt receiver. The volume knob will be turned a little more clockwise on the 35 watt unit."

You agreed. I was simply pointing out that if the tapers are different -- with the 35W unit having a more aggressive taper -- then the volume knob on a 35W unit may NOT have to be turned a little more clockwise.

stevepaige likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

But if you read the "entire" thread instead of just a couple of posts you would understand the position of the knob, slide control, etc was never the point, so pointless to mention, (pun intended).

Here, I've copied and pasted the post that started this, is there any mention of the volume control's position?

"Also, with the 6340 having less power you're running it more in its schveet spot so to say. At any given volume level you're turning the smaller amp up just that much more to achieve the same output. You'll find many here prefer the sound of amps in the 35watt range over its larger siblings, that is until thingsget nasty. In example, hard to drive loads, or large power demands when the party's in full swing and you need that extra little bit the amp can't give."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Well-Known Member

"Here, I've copied and pasted the post that started this, is there any mention of the volume control?"

Yes.

"At any given volume level you're turning the smaller amp up just that much more to achieve the same output."

I assume "turning up" means moving the volume knob, clockwise. What would be an accurate statement, would be one stating that if each amp were outputting 15W, the 35W amp would be outputting a greater percentage of its output capability, compared to the 100W amp. I was only pointing out that volume knob position may not always be indicative of output, depending upon taper. Nothing more, nothing less. If the tapers were exactly the same between both amplifiers, then the proposition that the smaller amp requiring the volume knob to be turned up more, would be correct.

I won't even get in to preamp gain as another contributing factor...

4. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

NO

Turning up means more output, plain and simple, position of the knob is irrelevant.

If I said I turned up the volume, why would anyone assume I picked any particular point in the controls range, only that I turned it up.

Again, reading between the lines, inferring something that was never stated.

Here, I fixed it for you, edited my post above, maybe this will make it simpler for you to understand.

"Here, I've copied and pasted the post that started this, is there any mention of the volume control's position?"

No there is not.

Especially in relation to the "position" of the other amps volume control? Which by the way could be completely different, as in one has slide controls, another a knob, and another a touch control. Why in hell would anyone assume all had the same type of control and all were at the same position? Oh that's right, reading between the lines, inferring what's not there, etc.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  5. hopjohn

hopjohn Silver Face Subscriber

6walls, I think this thread may have inadvertently taught a valuable lesson. Sometimes it's best not to question the whys and wherefores when you've got a system you really enjoy. There's many a member here chasing what you are lucky enough to be experiencing. Revel in it.

stevepaige and ovaeasy like this.